Twenty-One

"Yo, you should've come out with us last night

"Yo, you should've come out with us last night. We hit this barista jam down in the Arts District." Jackson says to Nolan and Kate as they sit down in the briefing room for roll call.

"A what?" Kate asks

"Yeah, uh, celebrity baristi pull espresso shots from artisanal beans, whip up latte art. It's total fire."

"Okay, I know all those words separately, but together..." Nolan says

"Oh, then we jammed with this Cowpunk band till like 4:00 a.m., then went to Venice Beach to watch the sunrise."

"Okay, you have a singular way of making me feel a thousand years old." Nolan's phone begins to ring.

"Sorry."

"Hang on one second. Yo! This is he. What? Well, there must be some mistake. No, um, I will look into that today. Thank you. I'm so sorry about that. Thank you."

"What?" Kate and Lucy ask at the same time.

"Uh, my tuition payment for Henry's college didn't go through -- insufficient funds."

"I thought you had his whole four years squirreled away." Lucy says

"I do. It's -- I'm sure it's just a mistake."

"Okay, before you hit the street today, a few orders of business. One of my duties as Sergeant is to run periodic assessments on officers under my command to ensure that the duty manual is being followed and that, personally, you are all above reproach."

"Then I hope you didn't read my diary." Smitty speaks up causing everyone to laugh.

"Uh, what exactly is being assessed?" Lucy asks

"Occupational integrity. From how we maintain our equipment to the upkeep of all of our certifications." Tim answers

"If we can't obey every rule, how can we expect that from citizens?" Harper says

"Exactly. This is a list of all minor deficiencies. Officer West will be in charge of sharing those infractions with you and making sure this station is in compliance with all regulations."

"So I won't be riding with Officer Lopez today, sir?"

"No, she and I will be out of the station for the rest of the day. So, that being said, Sergeant Roberts from Pacific Division will be filling in. I expect to hear good things. That's it. Officer Nolan, a word, please."

                                                   **

"Are you nervous about meeting my parents tonight?"

"What? No. Not at all. They sound great." He says, a hint of sarcasm in his tone.

"Look. If they weren't my parents, I probably would have cut them off by now. But, they are my parents. I'd love for them to meet my boyfriend."