Chapter 13 Meet The Family

TW: D3pr3ssion and language

The week didn't go by very fast, luckily it was almost Saturday. I have called several times with Danny, but I can't wait to see him again. This week, the groupchat had exploded, everyone was coming up with movies we could watch. Friday night, we had to come to a conclusion, which was tonight. After about 3,296 messages and 3 hours we finally came to 1 movie: "Hunger Games". The new one that was just out.

We we're all getting ready for tomorrow, because Pete and Nick don't live next door, they had to take a flight. And Sunday, Arny will go back to Miami with Pete and Nick. It must suck for them to live so far away from each other.

We keep texting each other about the plans for the next day, when eventually I fall asleep with my Spotify on. My playlist of mixed feelings is what woke me up this morning. When I turn of the music I see that it is almost 7 am. I was late for work this time. I rush out of bed, put my hair in a bun quickly and rush out the door. At work, those disapointed faces again, nothing new. Time goes by fast enough, that when I throw a glance at the clock again, it's almost 10.30 am and I get to go home. I wave at my coworkers, acting sad for leaving early, but I don't.

I sit at home on my couch in a nice hoodie I pulled out of my closet. My jeans are itching, but I don't know what their dresscode is, so I don't want to make a bad impression. My mom is in the kitchen, not getting why I was so nervous, because I said I was just going to do something with Danny and Arny. Going out with more and three people is a big step for me, I don't even remember the last time I went out. Probably a couple of months ago, with Eve. My head feels regret at the topic of my ex-best friend again, but that is being interrupted by a honk outside. My mom looks out the window, she finds it rude that they don't even come to the door. I don't, because I asked them specificly not to.
"Are you just going to go?" She asks, but by the time she finishes her question, I'm already sprinting to the door.
"Be back by eight, love you!" I yell and step out of the door.
I have been waiting for the moment I'd see my new friends again this whole week.
I close the door behind me and see Danny leaning against his car. He stroke his hand through his hair, stopping to wave at me making me I realize I was staring at him. I run up to him, wanting to hug him. But then I see a guy in the car, which made it a little awkward.
Danny had already opened his arms, ready for the hug. Fuck it. I put my arms around him. The guy in the car is on his phone, giving us a bit of privacy.
"Hey, how are you doing?" He whispers and tries to see my face.
"I'm fine." I say as I look into those beautiful eyes of his again. "You?" I ask when I let go.
He nods. His white fluffy hair bouncing with the movement. I had only seen him 2 days in real life, but I had missed him so much. He steps away from the car and opens the back door.
"Thanks." I say and step in. He closes the door softly and walks around to his door, gets in and starts the car.
The guy turns around, and reaches his hand out from the front seat.
"Hi, I'm Nick." He says. His short, coloured and white hair move around as I meet his eyes. He had a nose piercing and wearing make-up. Nick had a special voice, like I've heard it before.
"Ann." I reach out my hand, shaking his when I introduce myself.
"Nice catch, Danny!" He speaks proudly.
"Nick!" Danny yells as he drives away from my house.
I laugh, they start arguing over not mentioning it. I knew he had told his friends something. The question running and spinning around in my head on repeat. Did he like me?
"So, we're picking up Julia on the way, meeting Arny and Pete halfway." Danny tries changing the subject.
"Right. Yep. It wasn't a problem right? Doing the group-thing here? Since you all don't live here?" I ask them.
"No, no. We all live far away from each other, so we would have to do it somewhere in the middle anyways." He says, looking to me through the mirror.
I nod. We talk some things over, about their career and how I was thinking about my future. They we're a little bit thrown off when I said I was into acting, since I was so shy and self-centered.
We pick up Julia, just like Danny said she was really nice and herself. They we're all so much themselves. I'm always used to keeping myself hidden all the time, the real me just never reached the point where I was actually pure. Maybe that was me, or Eve was just a real fake and hidden person too. If that was the case, it shouldn't be her fault, it's ours. Or mine. This is always what I end up doing, blaming myself, because how can I shove it on others if I'm in the story?

We get to our destination, the movie-theaters in ... . We park and get out. While joking about some stuff we used to deal with in school.
"We should hurry, the movie starts in 20 minutes, knowing Nick, we already need 15 for the snacks." Danny says.
Julia chuckles. They knew each other so well, I felt like an intruder, crashing their group like this. I walk behind them a little in the parking lot. Danny notices me getting quiet, slowing down and walks next to me.
"Don't feel introvert. I adopted you. They'll like you." He whispers. I listen, but act like I didn't hear him, I felt a little dissociating, which I've never actually experienced.
He pokes me with his elbows while we keep walking. I still don't know how to respond. I feel like a computer from 2010, I'm there, just not functioning.
"Hey, are you alright? For real?" He asks more serious now.
"I'm fine, just haven't slept a lot last night." I say, finally meeting his eyes, clearly relieved I spoke.
He hestitates, then puts his arm around me, rubbing my shoulder, the others weren't looking anyway.

We get to the entrance where I see the black, curly haired guy. Arny, also missed him. He was wearing black again, giving me the impression that that is the only colour he wears.
Standing next to him, Pete, who was on his phone. I knew it was him because I had looked on his profile picture before. He had a brown hair, glasses and was a big type of guy. He had a nerdy, but funny vibe.

"Hey, Ann. How was work?" Arny says, giving me a friendly look.
"Cool, glad I could leave early though." I answer his question chuckling.
I wave to Pete. "Hi, I'm Ann."
"Pete." He says back. He was also a little introvert I could tell, but he did have a sparkling personality.
"Okay, enough with the awkward talk, let's get snacks." Arny says mumbling.
Together we walk to the cashier and scan the tickets we've bought online. We grab a bunch of snacks, popcorn, nachos and candy and split the cost. When we arrive, the movie had already started. We al sit in one row next to each other. I sit next to Danny on the end of our row. Julia and Pete are communicating in whisper tone over the snacks we are dividing.

Hope this chapter was a bit worthy of your time! Had a lot of going on, so that is why it took me a little longer. More coming up soon! Feedback or comments are welcome!
P.B.S. 4/1/2024