Chapter 10 The Night Call

TW: D3pr3ssion and language

I wake up, having a pressured pain in my back. I fell asleep, in the wrong position clearly. I wonder what woke me up when I feel the phone in my hand buzz and light up. Danny was calling, I take of my headphones and attach my earphones so I can use the microphone.

"Hey, everything alright? I felt terrible leaving you..." He starts as we start the audio call.
"Don't feel terrible, it's fine." I assure him.
"So, did your mom gossip about me and Arny?" He asks me.
"I haven't spoken to her yet."
"Why? Is she ignoring you?" He says in a concerning tone.
"No, opposite, I'm ignoring her. I don't want to talk. Why would I? It was just an accident. Nothing to discuss." I say carelessly.
"Ann, you have to talk to her at some point- But, that's not what I called you for. I just wanted to know how you were doing." He cuts his own words off.
"I found your YouTube channel..." I start.
"Oh good Lord." I hear him whisper in a distance. I chuckle. He was definetly a little ashamed or nervous.
"Your videos are really funny. And you do your cosplaying really good too." I tell him in a complementing way.
"Thanks." By the sound of his voice, I could tell he was flattered.

"Do you have any social media accounts?" He asks me hopefully.
"Yeah, but I never post." I answer.
"What's your username?" He tries getting me to spill the information in a smooth way.
"I don't have any content, but it is Joey Something." I tell him honest. "Are you gonna stalk me now?" I ask goofy.
"Yea." He answers. I laugh, but it actually sounded pretty serious again. I think he will actually do it, which can be interpreted as cute or scary.

After talking about his job as content creator and what we like, hours pass and it is 12 am now when I look at the clock.
"It's getting pretty late. I'm going to sleep." I end the conversation.
"Do you want to hang up?" He asks me. Duh, I say in my head, what else do you want to do?
"I guess." I answer with a small wavery doubt in my tone.
"We don't have to. We can just stay on the call." He suggested. He didn't trust me, or to be more specific, he cared about me.
"Okay." I answer awkwardly.
I get comfortable in my bed and turn on my laptop to watch something of Netflix. Miraculous Ladybug again, it just made me feel like I was in his arms again, such a magical and warm feeling.
In the background I hear him putting his phone down and cleaning his room. When he comes back and picks the phone up again he asks me if I'm already asleep in whisper tone.
"No." I answer.
"Do you always fall asleep to noise?" He asks me out of curiousity.
"I seriously can't sleep without." I tell him.
"I can talk." He says. What is that supposed to mean? I ask myself.
"What?" I mumble confused. I don't want to be too loud and wake my mom.
"If you want, I can talk to you. I like to talk, you like to listen."
"Fine," I say, agreeing to his weir suggestion.
"How what did you do after I leave? Starting from there." I try getting him to start.
"Well, we went to McDonalds first, got some chicken nuggets. Because I'm obsessed with those. Then we went home, I took Uki for another walk." He continues talking for at least an hour. About everything, his ideas, thoughts, how a usual day looked for him.

I keep listening to him, chuckle now and then, because he could talk on his own for so long, without being bored.

His voice was so soft, talking me to sleep in the most gentle way.

My eyes feel heavy as the light attacks me from beside the curtains. I lift up my head to see my alarm clock. 6 am. I look next to me, my Netlfix was already on black screen ofcoure, but Danny was still on the call. We had been on the line since 8 pm last night. It's a miracle my battery didn't die yet. However, when I realize my percentage is only at 20% I grab my charger and plug it in.

I stay in bed and turn on my chromebook again. I go on YouTube and click on one of Arny's videos. Although I am dying to watch one of Danny's. It's weird seeing them on a screen. Even weirder that I met them.
"Hello, people, I am Arny, you may know me as Birlap," He starts. The videos are pretty funny, a lot of them are gaming or reacts. After about an hour I hear a groan coming from my phone. Danny just woke up.
"Morning." I say into the microphone of my earphones while blushing. I click the video I was watching on pause.
I hear another groan.
"Hey, morning." He says back in a tired voice. It felt like we had known each other for months. He takes some time to gather up his voice and energy.
"How'd you sleep?" He asks me.
"Okay. You?" I keep the conversation going.
"Fine." He said.
His morning voice sounded very tired and hoarse, but a little tough too. As I hear another groan, I also hear my mom in the hallways.
"Danny, I'll call you later I have to go." I whisper in my microphone.
"Oh, oka-" He says as I cut him of by pushing the red button of the call.

I know I was right as my mom softly knocks on my door and opens it without my answer. I sit up and look at her.
"Morning." She says. I realized that for once, she wasn't the first person who said that to me today.
"Hey." I answer. Things were very weird between us.
"Do I need to schedule an appointment for the doctor for you. You look really tired and I'm afraid you'll get sick, you did fall into water, and weather was pretty cold." She starts.
"No, you don't need to. Danny called his doctor when I was at his place. He got me checked up, I'm fine." I answer. My mom looks surprised. She probably was not used to other people being so nice to strangers.
She walks up to me and sits down on my bed. I get nervous when she sits down to talk like that. I start fidgeting with my fingers. I stare at different points of my room as she strokes her fingers through my hair. I am still a little mad about the whole 'I read your diary' stuff. However I know I have to accept the choice she had made, she thought she was being a good parent.

"I'm just so glad you're okay." She whispers as she hugs me.
Okay, is some whole other thing. I say in my head.
"I know." I answer emotionless when I give her a cold hug back. Trying to make it feel and sound as sweet as possible. I just couldn't actually feel good myself. It was a problem in me. Not anyones fault.

P.B.S. 03/14/2024