Chapter 44

Seeing how cold Steve's eyes were, Bucky knew he had to say something. Truth be told, the one-armed soldier hadn't expected Steve to understand Russian, but he should have. HYDRA would want their asset to be able to blend into any country and talk to any agent.

Bucky held up his hands, trying to placate his best friend even as sadness filled him. He saw himself in Steve, and it hurt to see. Steve was the one who had the unfettered optimism between the two of them. To see that gone was like a punch to the gut.

"Steve," Bucky said, trying not to give in to his emotions, "let me explain."

Steve stalked towards Bucky, his face hard as he said, "Я не могу поверить, что ты так подумал! - I can't believe you thought that!"

Bucky's anger started to grow, feeling the growing threat from his best friend. "Что еще я должен был подумать? - What else was I supposed to think?"

"Я думал, что мой лучший друг будет больше доверять мне! - I thought my best friend would have more faith in me!"

Morgan slammed her cup down and yelled, "Вы оба остановитесь! Я единственный, кому разрешено быть ребенком! - Both of you stop! I'm the only one allowed to be a child!"

Arianna and Tony stood to the side, neither knowing what was being said. Tony's experience was Jarvis giving him a translation in his ear while interrogating Whiplash years ago. He wasn't able to speak it, but he swore, after this, he would take lessons.

"Should we be worried?" Tony asked, even though it was already working its way through his being.

"I don't think so," Arianna said, understanding how Tony felt. "They don't have any guns out, so it should be fine."

Just as she said that, Bucky said, "И я думал, что в Капитане Америке будет больше борьбы! - And I thought Captain America would have more fight in him!"

"Ты один, чтобы говорить, Солдат! - You're one to talk, Soldat!" Steve retorted.

"Правда, капитан Гидра? Боже, надо было остаться в прошлом! - Really, Captain Hydra? God, you should have stayed in the past!"

Bucky's face fell, realizing what he had said. The look of devastation that momentarily played on Steve's face was like a cup of cold water down Bucky's back.

"Wow, Bucky," Steve said, his features becoming like a statue. "Fine."

"Steve," Bucky said, hoping his best friend would listen, "I-"

"No, you're right. So, I'll just," Steve sighed, "disappear. I'll stay away."

Bucky looked at Steve in shock. The ease with which he came to that conclusion was concerning. Arianna ran up to the blond super soldier, tears falling.

"Steve," she cried, "please don't go."

Steve cupped Arianna's cheek, removing her tears with his thumb as he said, "It's best if I do this now, before things get any worse."

Arianna's whole body sagged. Tony was done seeing his cousin hurt and hearing Steve put his husband down. Before he could stop himself, Tony punched Steve with everything in him. A loud crack filled the air and Tony's face drained of all color.

Bucky went up to Tony, saying, "Oh my God! Babe, did you just break your hand?"

Arianna said in a devastated tone, "Yes, he did. We need Shuri."

Steve stopped her as they went to find the princess. She looked up at him, her eyes staring at him like they were searching for something. She must have found it because she smiled up at him and gave him a small kiss.

I can't leave her, Steve realized. He could drop everyone else in the entire world, no hesitation, but the raven-haired woman in front of him? No way in hell could walk away from her. With that realization, they walked hand-in-hand toward that Wakandan lab.