Chapter 23

Once Steve had disappeared into the palace, Arianna looked at T'Challa and asked, "Does he normally ignore people after a run?"

The king began their walk again as he replied, "He does. He doesn't know he has a new nickname either. Shuri picked it."

As if driven by fate, the queen-mother and princess greeted the party as Shuri said, "It's a good one, if I do say so myself. It's based on his history."

Bucky laughed as he replied, "I'd call him Tiny Turtle," he smirked at the woman he came to view as a sister, "based on his history."

Shuri joined the super soldier's merriment. "You've gotten sassy since marrying your Stark."

Bucky's face fell at the mention of Tony, so Ramonda brought him back to their fun by saying, "Now, White Wolf, you got a new name when you were healed, and he will as well." She gave him a pointed look. "No bullying."

Bucky put up his hands as he responded, "Of course not. Wouldn't dream of it. Just light teasing, as brothers do."

"I mean it, James. I will find out. A mother always does."

Bucky chuckled. "I know, Mama Ramonda."

Bucky and the queen-mother shared a smile. Of course, he knew what she was doing. She may not have heard about why he was in Wakanda with his luggage, but she knew when he was upset. No one could hide from their mother, even if they were younger than them and adopted.

Arianna brought them out of their moment by asking, "Excuse me, you're majesty, but where can I put my things and how can I help, uh," she furrowed her brow, trying to get the nickname to work in her mind while thinking of Steve, "Brave... Bear?"

Shuri let out a laugh again before Romanda quieted her with a look. The princess should know better than to laugh at someone's discomfort. It was all new to Arianna and the queen-mother didn't want to run off a future daughter-in-law.

"Please," the older woman said, taking Arianna's hands, "call me Mama Ramonda. Let's get you settled, and we can discuss your role for tonight." She began leading the younger woman into the palace proper. "For now, rest and relax. I heard what happened, and I'm sorry for it."

Arianna looked back at Bucky, who had the decency to look sheepish. Of course, he had told his adopted mother what had happened to gain some advice. All of the Avengers would have told him to try and talk to Tony, despite knowing how both men were. Romanda would tell him to take time away to think.

Arianna returned her focus to the queen-mother and replied, "Nothing to be sorry for. It's all led to right now."

"Good girl," Romanda said before looking back at the one-armed man. "James, give her a tour."

Bucky nodded and said, "Of course, Mama Romanda."

"Tag," the king chuckled, "you're it."

"T'Challa!" his mother scolded.

"Just a bit of teasing." He smirked at Bucky. "As brothers do."

Everyone laughed at that before the two men began to fake wrestle each other. It wasn't a conventional family, but it was one Arianna was glad she found and Bucky loved.