Chapter 20

Arianna drank the last of her wine and said, "Now, the real tea. How did you two get together?"

Just as she had hoped, Bucky's attitude changes. He chuckled, happier memories flooding his mind.

"Of course you ask for that!" he said, pressing the button for the stewardess. "Fine, get another glass of wine."

-----

FLASHBACK

Bucky had been in Wakanda for a year, awake for six months. He had refused to talk to any of the people who had helped him and Steve escape Stark's team. He wouldn't risk anyone finding him while he was healing.

Steve had been the only one to visit from time to time on his way to new safe houses. He had grown a classic beard over that time and Bucky had to admit it looked good on him, but the dark-haired super preferred the anchor beard style. More and more, one particular man with that style of facial hair had started to invade his nightmares, and the sickness that threw Bucky back into the waking world was all-encompassing.

The River Tribe had given him a home among the people on the outskirts of the village. He preferred it this way so that he was less likely to hurt anyone, being so far from the village proper. That didn't stop the children from "sneaking" into his hut. The training forced upon him didn't allow him to be surprised, but he could pretend for the kids, and they always got a kick out of him pretending to be scared or if he scared them.

One particular day, Shuri came for a visit. She stood at the water's edge and watched the waves until some children came from the hut, giggling. Bucky soon followed in traditional clothing. It better hid his missing arm and scars, though it was also loose enough that he wouldn't overheat. Wanting to live as simply as possible, the only way he knew how to atone so early on his path of redemption, he gave up shoes and all tech he could. The rocks didn't cut into his feet but they weren't comfortable either. Nothing about his life in Wakanda was easy and he didn't want it to be. He had to make up for what he had done for the last seven decades, even if he hadn't been in control.

Shuri watched the super soldier approach, a smile on her face. It was a rare windy day and she wanted to see what would happen. He stood next to her, looking like he wanted to hope she could cure him that day, but fighting to give in to the foreign concept.

"What's going on, Shuri?" he asked.

"You have a visitor," she replied. "One of great importance to you."

Bucky sighed, his mind going to Steve and how dangerous his continual visits were becoming the more the world governments tracked the blond super soldier. "Why now?"

Shuri just smiled. "You'll have to ask him."

With that, the princess of Wakanda patted his chest and walked away. She already saw this broken white boy as her brother and he saw her as a sister. Bucky didn't go to follow her, watching the waves and letting the wind play over him, uncaring that his dobi was opened by the breeze.

The super soldier turned when the last voice he expected to hear said, "I know I'm probably the last person you want to see, but I thought we could talk."

Bucky had no idea how Stark found out he was there and he hoped that the man was as smart as everyone claimed him to be. The last thing the Wakandans needed was foreign governments trying to invade on pretense. Still, despite all of his training, Bucky's heart rate sped up at the sight of the one filling his dreams.

However, the super soldier's face and voice didn't betray any of that as he asked, "What about?"

"Maybe about my parents?" the younger man said, trying to not sound like he was taunting Bucky. "Good place to start, right?"

Bucky didn't want to talk himself out of saying what he needed to. "I can't tell you how sorry I am for that. Not a day goes by that I don't regret it."

Tony's eyes drifted over Bucky's exposed abs. He licked his lips as he saw how low the dobi's belt hung. He was teased with it, almost like Bucky's special tool was the only real thing holding the belt up.

"Right," the billionaire said, his voice distracted and hungry. "Right. And I um," he gulped, "I'm sorry for-"

Tony's hand reached out and touched Bucky's abs. He couldn't help it. In front of him was a body sculpted by angels and he had to see if they were as hard as they looked. And just as out of control as Tony was, Bucky's willpower snapped and he pulled the shorter man in for a hard kiss.

Tony pulled back in shock, unable to form a coherent sentence as he said, "What- why-"

Bucky's face dropped as his own confusion and hurt took over, responding, "Sorry. Did I- did you not-"

That shook Tony out of his stupor and he smiled at the older man. "I did! Really! I just didn't expect it, that's all." Then, he gave a devilish smirk. "Do it again."

Bucky didn't have to be told twice and began ravishing Tony's mouth.

-----

PRESENT DAY

"I won't tell you what happened after that," Bucky laughed, seeing the look on Arianna's face.

She replied, "Thank God!"

Bucky laughed some more. The truth was, nothing happened after the kiss. He and Tony sat outside the hut and had talked well into the night before Shuri came to collect the billionaire. Tony officially moved to Wakanda during the last six months of Bucky's stay in Wakanda, wanting to be close to his then-boyfriend and to better help Shuri in deprogramming him. Without Tony, who knows how long it would have taken to get Bucky free from HYDRA once and for all?