Chapter 31

That night, Bucky lay in bed, staring at the ceiling. This was new, staying in the palace instead of his hut, but that's not what kept him up. His need to make sure Steve and Arianna were safe wasn't the reason either.

The reason he couldn't sleep was still outside the palace. The man he loved was so close but felt miles away. It didn't matter that the super soldier had taken some of Tony's cologne and sprayed it on one of the pillows, hugging it to his body. The real man was outside and not next to him. Bucky tossed and turned for what seemed like hours, unable to get comfortable.

Around midnight, Romanda knocked before poking her head into the room, saying in an irritated tone, "White Wolf, get your husband. He's making a scene on the lawn."

Bucky sat up with a sigh and said with a nod, "Alright, Mama Romanda."

Dealing with Tony this late was better than lying awake. He didn't bother with getting dressed. He put on a robe and slippers and walked out of the palace. Sure, many of the Dora stared at him, but all he had to do was say his husband's name, and all of them understood.

The sight before him just made Bucky angry as he stomped up to the billionaire, growling, "The hell? Tony!"

The shorter man turned to the sound of Bucky's voice, half a bottle of scotch in his hand, and slurred out, "James? You're here?"

There were some bottles of malt liquor strewn about, showing the man had at least started on the lighter end of his bender, but as he began to get tipsy, he went for the hard stuff. Now, Tony couldn't walk straight, his eyes bloodshot with streaks of dried tears on his cheeks, and his voice rough.

Bucky went down to Tony and then saw empty shots of sake. One glass remained full. Bucky's heart broke. These days, his husband only drank if he was hurting or stressing over something. This would count for both and it sent him over the deep end.

"Tony," Bucky said, taking the bottle away, "I think you've had enough."

"Why?" Tony yelled, crying again as he backed away. "I've got nothing else! I lost Ari and you! Everything!"

Bucky tried to go to him, to keep him from hurting himself if nothing else. "You haven't lost us. We just need you to-"

"I'm scared Ari changed in HYDRA!" The confession poured out like word vomit, which Bucky preferred over real vomit any day. "I don't want her to and-" Tony stumbled and sat next to the shots of sake. "I lost my sister. I pushed her away and she's gone." He cried into his hands as Bucky knelt next to him. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I just wanted her to stay the same, Jamie."

Bucky chuckled. Tony only called him Jamie when he was drunk. As cute as it was to hear, Bucky knew it was time to cut his genius off and put him to bed. And the super soldier knew the perfect one.

"Okay," Bucky said, trying to get Tony to stand up, "you've definitely had enough." He saw Tony pick up the last of the sake. "No, put the shot down." Tony downed it, almost defiantly, but all Bucky could do was laugh. "Okay, I'll let you have that one, but no more." Tony stood up with Bucky's help, though he was very unsteady. "Now, let's-" But he never got to finish as the billionaire passed out, standing up, as he leaned into Bucky's chest. "Right, let's get you in a bed." He picked Tony up, who snuggled into his husband more. "God, you're adorable when you're asleep."

Bucky carried Tony back to his room. Romanda had left a glass of water and pain relievers next to the bed, which the super soldier was grateful for. He put Tony on the bed and removed his clothes so he would be comfortable. The younger man moaned happily under his husband's care. Bucky then got under the blankets, only for Tony to burrow into him as soon as he lay down.

"I love you, Jamie," Tony muttered in his sleep, his voice content.

"I love you too, Tony," Bucky whispered before giving him a slight kiss. "Sleep, baby. I'll be here all night. Promise."

After an hour of Bucky watching Tony sleep, the older man drifted off, finally comfortable with his beloved in his arms.