Chapter 34

As nice as it was to see the cousins makeup, this didn't help Steve know why Tony wanted to cut him out of Arianna's life. He had to fight to stay where he was and keep the anger out of his voice.

"That still doesn't explain what his problem is with me," the blond man reminded everyone.

Tony turned to Steve and said, "Because you kidnapped and fucked her? That work?"

Arianna moved away and asked, "Really, Tony?"

Bucky didn't know how he got made the mediator but he knew he had to make sure everyone heard each other out. All of them had issues they needed Tony to hear.

"You said your piece, Tony," Bucky instructed, handing him a refill of his coffee, "let Steve tell his."

Steve sighed. He really didn't want to say anything. Arianna moved back to his side and took his hand. If he wanted Tony to stop antagonizing him, Steve had to get something out.

"Yes," Steve admitted, "it was me who kidnapped her." He stared at Tony, his eyes filled with guilt and shaking Tony's resolve. "But as Captain Hydra. I saw her and something about her just wouldn't leave my mind, no matter how many times they wiped me." He sat down and crossed his arms. "That was the first time Captain Hydra broke the rules."

Tony scoffed, "You expect me to believe that he kidnapped her for love?"

"More like obsession. Captain Hydra didn't know how to love." He looked at Arianna's expression. "Well, maybe a little." She gave a soft smile and Steve looked back at Tony. "But that didn't stop the beatings. Among other things." He stared at the coffee table in front of him, trying to keep his emotions in check as he tried to find an interesting swirl. "I still see everything playing in my head. I can't-"

Arianna knelt in front of him and made him look at her as she replied, "Steve, I've never blamed you for any of it. It was a shitty situation, that's all. You helped me survive it. I'm alive because of you."

When he didn't move, she kissed him forcefully. He started to come back to her as he pulled her into his lap. He would have made her straddle him, but a voice cut through their moment.

"Yeah, I didn't need to see that," Tony said.

"He's my choice, Tony," Arianna turned to her cousin, breaking the kiss. "Deal with it."