Chapter 33

Tony couldn't believe what had just happened and, when he found his voice, he said, "I think that's the most I've ever heard him cuss and he was dropping F-bombs like rain."

Due to all of the tension, Bucky laughed. Out of everything that should have been said, Tony had to point out Steve's language.

"Babe," Bucky said when he managed to regain his breath, "that's what you focused on?"

Between Bucky laughing and Tony's comment, Steve was fuming and said, "Same old Tony! Everything is a big fucking joke to you!"

"You don't get it!" Tony replied, finally catching up to Steve's temper. "I have to protect Ari! That's my job!"

It was Steve's turn to be surprised. He never expected Tony to say something like that. Tony has to protect her? Steve almost couldn't comprehend it. It should be me. Wait. Does he think he has to protect her from me? Of course, he does. After all, I'm a murderer now. Arianna moved to stand next to a stunned Steve.

She began, "Tony, you don't need to-"

"If you want him to listen," Bucky cut her off, "you need to do the same. Let him talk."

Tony sighed, knowing that with the cat out of the bag, he had to say something. He had never wanted Arianna to know this promise he made. She would have made herself miserable trying to not be a burden. He was happy with the woman she had grown up to be without this knowledge, but now, Tony had to tell her.

"The one thing," Tony said, his voice full of emotion as he looked at Steve, "the only thing my parents asked me to do was keep Ari safe. That's it." He sat, trying not to let the memories take over. "And when I stopped being Ironman, what happened? She gets kidnapped. 'Protect Ari.' That was it and I failed. I couldn't keep her safe, so how can I do that for Morgan?"

Seeing how hard it was for Tony to admit everything, Arianna teared up. Steve didn't understand the change in emotion. One moment, she was ready to wring Tony's neck. The next, she was crying over something he said or did. But, the worst part was that Arianna moved to sit next to Tony to comfort him after everything he had done to her!

"You didn't fail, Tony," she replied. "You let me have my life my way. It isn't perfect but it's still my life."

"But they took you," Tony said, his voice a heartbreaking whisper. "Everything is changing and I don't know if-"

"You don't need to protect me anymore. It's time for me to protect myself, okay?"

"But what if you get hurt? I'd-"

"Be letting me live. I'll be fine. Getting hurt is part of life." She hugged him tight. "And if Ironman taught me anything, it's that heroes always get back up."

Tony pulled back and looked at her with a smug smile. Oh, she regretted admitting that but it was too late to take it back now.