Chapter 15

Bucky came up next to her and said, "Ari, Steve doesn't want to see anyone. He's still trying to get his mind straight."

Arianna looked at the two men like they were idiots. He wasn't "trying to get his mind straight." She knew exactly what was going on. Valentina had gloated about it often enough. No, Steve was isolating himself to protect everyone.

"You're joking, right?" she said in a condescending tone. "I can help him. I know what they did-"

"No joke," Tony interrupted. "He wants to tell us everything but-"

Arianna had had enough, but her voice held sadness even as her face still showed anger. "The nanites won't let him."

Bucky was confused but Tony immediately understood. "Oh shit!"

Meanwhile, Steve sat and waited. He kept trying to figure out a way to tell everyone what HYDRA had done to him. His head snapped up when the outer door opened and one of his old handlers walked into the room. He felt trapped by the small glass box, knowing he was a sitting duck.

"What are you doing here?" the super soldier asked, though he already knew.

Grant Ward, formerly part of SHIELD and permanently a HYDRA agent, clicked a button on a small remote as he answered, "Just getting our asset back, Captain."

Upstairs, all the lights in the compound went out and the computers went down. Any SHIELD agents they had in the wing started to run around to figure out what was going on. None of the other Avengers were home, all taking a break from hero work or on missions.

Tony looked at his husband and said, "I hate when I get deja vu."

Both men tried to run out of the room, but when Arianna tried to join them, they had to waste precious time trying to convince her to stay put. They settled on a time limit before she went out on her own. Tony wasn't taking any chances and had two agents watch the door.

At the same time, Steve had to at least attempt to talk Ward out of what he was going to do. It was dangerous to let out Captain Hydra. He didn't know how many people were in the compound, but the numbers he saw let him believe there would be enough to make the news, no matter the outcome. More blood on my hands.

"You don't have to do this," Steve said, getting up.

Grant pulled out a book from his vest. Steve knew Bucky had a similar one. He had seen it just before the events of the Civil War. Only, this one was black with the image of the Captain's shield on it. Panic set in.

The enemy agent said, "That's where you're wrong

The enemy agent said, "That's where you're wrong." Steve began trying to punch his way out, not caring about the pain in his hand. "Время- Time. Лед- Ice. Мститель- Avenger." The door began to give way even as blood appeared on Steve's hand. "Четыре- Four. Война- War." The super soldier couldn't stop and place anything around his now injured hand, knowing that those precious seconds brought him closer to losing himself. "Рассвет- Dawn. Один- One. Щит- Shield." It was now or never, and Steve could feel himself slipping away and the Captain taking over. "Заказ- Order. Капитан- Captain." The door flew off and the blond man stepped out, his face hard as he stood at attention. "Captain?"

Icy dead eyes looked at Grant as Captain Hydra said, "Готов выполнить- Ready to comply."