Chapter 14

Steve had awoken the day before. Bucky had a brief visit with him, but neither spoke much. There was a new understanding between them and words weren't needed as much to get their message across. Bucky didn't know where to begin to apologize for everything and Steve just wanted to be alone. He tried to tell Tony what he knew, but when he went to speak about HYDRA, no sound would come out. Steve knew it didn't look good on him, but he had no way to let his old friends know what was happening to him. He could only comply with the steps needed to ensure everyone's safety.

For two days, Ari stayed in the med bay at the compound. Tony didn't trust her at a hospital now that she was in HYDRA's database. He and Bucky took turns watching her. There was a five-minute window between when one of them left and the other entered the room. The only time they were there together was at night, neither man wanted to be apart but didn't want her to be alone if she woke up.

Tony had just left to go look over some data when Ari bolted up in fear, saying, "Captain!"

Bucky had been on his way to see her and heard her. He ran to the room and tried to get her to calm down as she frantically searched the room for Steve.

"Hey, it's okay," he said, making her lay back down. "You're safe now. Ari, look at me, please."

"Bucky?" she asked in confusion before the memories came back to her and a hard look came over her face. "Where's Steve?"

He took her hand. "First, answer this question. Do you know you're out?"

She rolled her eyes, yanking her hand away. "Yes, Bucky. I also remember an explosion and Steve being hurt. Where is he?"

"Okay. That's good. Um," he took a breathe, "Steve is in a cell until-"

"A cell? You can't do that! Let him out! Right now!"

Guilt colored Bucky's blue eyes, eyes that reminded her of her super soldier. "It's for everyone's safety. I hate doing it, but Steve agreed. He went voluntarily."

Arianna yanked all of the monitors off of her body, though she was careful with the IV, and got out of bed. She placed a bandage on herself before she started for the door. Bucky went to follow her.

"Ari, where are you going?" he asked.

"To see Steve!" she growled, looking for some clothes. "Where else?"

Tony had heard her yell and had run back. Since Bucky was handling it, Tony had stayed back, thankful she was alive and well. But hearing her say she was going to see the man who had kidnapped her, he couldn't sit back. He blocked her path as she went to leave, taking the bundle of clothes from her.

"The hell you are," the billionaire said authoritatively. "Back in bed, Ari."

"Watch me!" She stared her cousin down, willing to see Steve in nothing but the hospital gown if necessary.