28

You made your way toward the maintenance facilities. It was almost evening, which meant the band was due for a maintenance check before your department started to wrap things up for the day, and head home. You were still supervising their progress just to make sure your friends were being treated right. It was done very begrudgingly, but you didn't care as long as the poor animatronics got the respect they deserved. You hoped that it wouldn't take too much longer before they caught on that there was more to them than wires and programming.

You rounded the corner, and pulled yourself out of your thoughts as you spotted a familiar security guard standing there. Your employees were giving him unreadable looks as they muttered to each other. You briefly wondered what was up with them, before you shook yourself out of your musings.

"What are you doing here, Adam?" You asked, walking forward.

"I came to warn you about Dave. I ran into him earlier, and well... I'm not gonna lie to you (Y/N), he seemed quite unhinged. He's obsessed with you, and I think he may try to do something horrible to you." Adam's words gave you pause. Dave had left you alone thus far, baring the intense stares he'd give you from across the atrium. Your gut told you he had something up his sleeve, but you had no idea what that could be.

"Thanks for the heads up. I had a hunch he was still trying to pursue me, but it's nice to have confirmation. It's also nice to know some people have my back in this place." You said, giving him a grateful smile.

"Hey, nobody deserves to deal with Dave, especially when he's clearly losing his grip on reality." Adam returned the weak smile.

You were interrupted by the sounds of heavy footsteps approaching plus a bouquet of flowers being shoved into your face. You recognized them as the flowers they had started selling just this past week to try and attract more customers. The bouquet itself consisted of red and yellow roses with a few geraniums to break up the monotony. It was quite beautiful.

"I, uh, heard you were feeling down today, so I brought you these." Freddy's familiar voice pulled your attention away from the sudden gift. He was looking at you with an expression you couldn't place while occasionally glancing at Adam with a different expression you also couldn't recognize.

"Thank you, Freddy! I'm fine, though I do appreciate that you were thinking of me." You said with a bright smile while taking the bouquet. The flowers really were quite lovely.

"Anything for the best friend anyone could ask for. Honestly, someone would have to be dumb to reject a relationship with you." Freddy said, an edge lying just under the surface of his tone. You raised a confused brow at him.

"Are you feeling okay? You're acting a little different from usual." You asked, and he gave you a smile the rivaled Sun's.

"Never better! I have someone as wonderful as you looking after me. How could I not feel okay?" He placed a hand on your shoulder, and gave you a very sincere look as he complimented you. You felt a bubbly warmth inside your chest at this. No one had ever praised you in such a way before. It felt nice.

"Thank you, Freddy. You're a terrific friend, yourself." You said, hoping you returned the favor. He gave you a soft look as the two of you shared this moment together.

"Well, I can see you're busy here, so I'm gonna go." Adam said, pulling you out of your trance.

"Oh, uh. Thanks again for the heads up." You said, and you swore you felt Freddy tighten his grip on your shoulder ever so slightly.

"No problem." he waved you off as he walked out. The rest of the animatronics passed him as they walked in. They gave him weird expressions as they entered.