29

"Why are you both covered in blood?" Grey asks Tim and Mirana when they enter the station

"Why are you both covered in blood?" Grey asks Tim and Mirana when they enter the station. "And late?"

"I'm not sure you'd believe us if we told you the story," Mirana replies.

"There was a lion," Tim says.

"A lion?" Grey's eyebrows rise. "As in-?"

"A carnivorous big cat?" Mirana asks, showing Grey the picture. "Yes, it mauled a woman so we shot it"

"Then Mirana gave the lion first aid," Tim says.

"Hey, it's not my fault the silly moron decided having a lion in Central Los Angeles was a better idea than letting it roam free in the Savannah,"

Grey stares at them for a moment, seemingly processing the absurdity of the situation. "A lion. In the middle of Los Angeles. That's a new one."

"Yeah, tell me about it," Tim says, wiping a streak of dried blood from his face.

Grey leans back in his chair, crossing his arms. "Alright, I'll bite. Start from the beginning. How does one end up in a situation where they have to shoot a lion in the city?"

"Mirana wanted Starbucks," Tim says accusingly.

"That doesn't correlate with a lion on the loose!" Mirana exclaims before turning to Grey. "The woman bought him, illegally I'm assuming, and he got out of the house. It's kind of like Madagascar if it wasn't a kid's film"

Grey raises an eyebrow. "So, you're telling me we had a real-life Alex the lion situation?"

"More like a Mittens the lion situation," Tim adds, trying to suppress his amused smirk.

"She called a lion Mittens?"

Mirana nods, "It was the most loco thing I've ever seen"

Grey leans forward, "And you ended up giving first aid to the lion?"

Mirana shrugs, "Well, we couldn't just leave it there in pain. It's not every day you get to perform first aid on a lion."

Grey runs a hand over his face. "I'm not sure whether to be impressed by you two or concerned about the state of our city."

Tim chuckles, "It's just another day in the LAPD, where our routine coffee runs involve lion first aid."

Grey smirks, "Well, at least you two have a story for the grandkids now. 'Back in our day, we didn't just deal with criminals; we had to shoot lions in the street.'"

Mirana laughs, "I can already picture the disbelief on their faces."

"Get cleaned up and file those reports," Grey says, shaking his head. "It's follow-up day so you two are on a three-day-old home invasion. The victim is a former gang member, Nevin Cooper. No forensics, no suspects"

As Tim and Mirana leave Grey's office, Tim grins at her. "You know, I've been on a lot of crazy calls, but a lion in the city? That's a new one."

Mirana nudges him playfully, "Never a dull moment, Timothy. Never a dull moment."

"I hate it when you call me Timothy,"

"That's why I do it,"

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

Tim pushes open the door to the bakery, holding it open so Mirana can enter first before he follows her in. They are greeted by a young woman behind the counter who smiles at them.

"Good morning, officers. What can I get you?" She asks.

"We're looking for Nevin Cooper," Tim says,

"Oh. He's a little busy right now. Can I help you with something?"

A loud crash sounds from behind the door leading to the back of the cafe where the bakery's kitchen is located. Tim and Mirana share a look before heading for the door. Tim enters first and Mirana follows.

They see Nevin Cooper being cornered by Marquel and a member of his crew.

"Hey, everything okay?" Tim asks.

"Yeah. It's just some confusion in our order," Marquel replies.

"Sorry for the misunderstanding," Nevin says, handing Marquel a bag.

"Marquel, right?" Tim asks.

"I know you?"

"I'm the guy who put Keon in Pelican Bay. Heard you filled the void," Tim replies.

"Ah, what can I say? Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them,"

"Shakespeare," Mirana states and Marquel looks at her in slight surprise.

"Play?" Marquel asks.

"Twelfth Night," Mirana replies. "Do you want the act and scene too?"

"Smart for a cop," Marquel says and Mirana just shrugs in reply. "Pretty too"

"I read you weren't running with these guys anymore, Nevin," Tim says, drawing Marquel's attention back to him.

"Found a different path in prison," Nevin says.

"Bitch binge-watched too much British baking. Got himself rehabilitated," Marquel says.

"And you just let him go?" Mirana asks. "Forgave him just like that?"

"Sweet mercy is nobility's true badge," Marquel replies. "Play?"

"Titus Andronicus," Mirana replies. "So Shakespeare inspired you to forgive and forget?"

"Unless you're here to sweat him," Tim interjects. "You guys wouldn't happen to know who broke into Nevin's house a couple nights ago, tied him up?"

"I sure don't," Marquel says. "But I tell you what, I hear anything, you will be my first call. I'll see you around, Nevin"

Tim and Mirana watch Marquel and his crew member leave before they approach Nevin.

"You all right?" Tim asks and Nevin nods before replying.

"Fine. Got a lot of work to do and it's tight in here, so Sasha'll give you some doughnuts on your way out,"

"We can help you, Nevin," Mirana says.

"I got things handled," Nevin states.

"Okay, so why call the cops if you got it handled?" Tim asks.

"I didn't," Nevin replies.

"Sasha?" Mirana guesses.

"I appreciate what you're trying to do -- turn your life around. I know it isn't easy," Tim says.

"It is what it is, man," Nevin shrugs.

"You can't handle Marquel and his crew on your own," Tim says.

"I don't know what you're talking about. They just came to buy some pastries. Now I gotta get back to work," Nevin says and Tim nods.

"Sure. You change your mind, you know where to find us,"