31

Mirana and Tim approach Marquel and his crew who are standing in front of an auto parts store

Mirana and Tim approach Marquel and his crew who are standing in front of an auto parts store. Upon spotting the two officers, some of the crew members stand up.

"No need for that," Mirana says to one who is reaching for the back of his waistband. "Don't piss me off because my pregnancy hormones are all over the place. We're just here to speak to Marquel, we're not interested in catching bullets"

"Unless we gotta get permission first," Tim says and Marquel walks to meet the officers.

"You here to threaten me, Officer Bradford?" Marquel asks. "Stay away from Nevin or else?"

"No. We both know you don't scare," Tim says.

"So what? You bought the pretty one to try and play to my better angel?" Marquel asks, jerking his chin towards Mirana.

"I said you don't have one but Mirana here believes you might have one," Tim says.

"See, here I thought you were a hard case, the man who put Keon in Pelican Bay," Marquel says to Tim.

"It's called being a good person," Mirana interjects.

"Nevin did his time," Tim says. "He gave your crew a decade of his life. Took the fall like a good soldier. Let him walk away"

"And what's that do for my rep? Lettin' people slide?"

"Come on Marquel, Shakespeare had plenty to say about reputations," Mirana says. "How big egos always bite you in the ass. An ego like yours? You're not making it to 30"

"Shakespeare didn't know nothing about running a gang in the 21st century," Marquel replies and Mirana nods.

"Maybe, but then again neither do you," Mirana replies. "It took us a while to build a case on Keon, he wasn't on our radar for two years. How do you think Keon's going to feel when he finds out you've screwed it all up in five months?"

"You threatening me?" Marquel asks, stepping forward and Mirana does the same.

"We both know how the streets work Marquel," Mirana says. "You've been seen with the police twice in as many days, no one's going to want to work with you to push products or run guns if they think you're in trouble"

"So you're going to ruin my reputation?" Marquel asks. "A pretty little thing like yourself?"

"Call me that again, I dare you,"

"You don't want to go down this road," Tim says, pulling Mirana back. "Trust me"

"Ain't no off-ramp here, Bradford," Marquel says. "See, I got plans for Nevin. There's nothing you or your eye candy can do to stop 'em"

Marquel turns and walks away causing Mirana and Tim to do the same, heading towards their shop. Mirana and Tim get in the car before Mirana speaks.

"Plan B?" Mirana asks.

"Yeah," Tim nods. "Let's go order a big box of doughnuts"

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

Mirana sips at her coffee, leaning against Tim's car as they watch uniformed officers exiting the bakery with bags full of baked goods.

"I am a genio," Mirana says and Tim chuckles.

"Yeah, Marquel wouldn't dare launder money here now," Tim says. "Nicely done"

"North Hollywood's lucky to have a sergeant like you coming in," Mirana says.

"Actually, I, uh -- I told Grey that I'm not interested in moving up just yet," Tim says. "I don't want to miss any part of your pregnancy. Also, I haven't finished training you and I finish what I start"

"You are gonna move up at some point, though, right? Because I put a lot of time into reading those books out loud for you," Mirana asks and Tim laughs, wrapping an arm around her. "And considering I can barely read without my cover, it was a bitch"

"You want some doughnuts?" Tim asks and Mirana nods.

"Oh hell yes," Mirana nods and they cross the street before entering the bakery.

"Officers," Nevin smiles at them. "I don't know how you did it but thank you"

"Telling them that this is the only thing our baby craves since I tried the doughnuts here was a big factor," Mirana says, placing her hand on her stomach and Nevin grins.

"It's true, you're going to be seeing us a lot," Tim says to Nevin.

"It's always nice to see friendly faces," Nevin says.

"How's Sasha?" Mirana asks.

"I'm great," Sasha walks over to them, giving Mirana a brief hug. "Thank you for everything, I heard you went toe to toe with Marquel outside the auto shop"

"It was nothing," Mirana says.

"Doughnuts are on the house," Nevin says. "You two singlehandedly stopped me from being pulled back into that life and I could never thank you enough"

"Mirana has a nut allergy," Tim says and Nevin nods.

"No problem, we have strict allergen procedures in place," He says. "I'll be right back"

"Hey, can I ask you something?" Sasha asks Mirana who nods. "Being pregnant, how bad is it?"

"I didn't know I was pregnant until thirteen weeks," Mirana says. "Some women have the signs very early on"

"Tips for morning sickness?"

"I don't get it very often," Mirana says. "But I found flat lemonade works great in settling my stomach"

"Then she only has plain foods," Tim adds. "Toast, a bagel, something that's not going to upset her stomach"

"Thanks," Sasha nods as Nevin approaches, a bag in his hand.

"Here you go," Nevin says, handing the bag to Mirana. "A dozen assorted doughnuts, on the house. And don't worry, we made sure to exclude any nut ingredients."

"Thank you, Nevin. We appreciate it," Tim says.

"Looks like our work here is done," Mirana says.

"For now," Tim adds. "But we'll keep an eye on things. Just stay out of trouble, alright?"

"And if Marquel starts causing trouble again, here's my card," Mirana hands Nevin her card before she and Tim say their farewells.

Tim's arm wraps around Mirana's shoulders as they leave the bakery. He leans down and presses a kiss to the crown of her head as her spare arm wraps around his waist.

"Ready for some doughnuts?" Tim asks, and Mirana grins.

"Absolutely. Let's go home and enjoy these," Mirana says. "You're massaging my calves by the way"

"Whatever you want," Tim says, leaning down with a smile on his lips.

Mirana smiles up at him, rising on her toes slightly so she can press her lips to Tim's. When they pull back, they're both smiling at each other, their eyes filled with mutual adoration.

"I love you," Mirana murmurs.

"I love you more,"