24

Mirana checks her phone to see an update from Tim saying Isabel had just entered the apartment for the buy

Mirana checks her phone to see an update from Tim saying Isabel had just entered the apartment for the buy. She sends a reply before continuing to watch her TV.

In the blink of an eye, Mirana is plunged into darkness as her electricity fizzles out.

"Seriously?" Mirana huffs, turning on her phone flashlight as she texts Tim telling him her power is out.

"Mi pajarito, how you've grown,"

Mirana moves her phone to shine in the direction of the voice and her heart stops.

Standing at her open front door is Elian Alonso, her father. Mirana fumbles with her phone, pressing Tim's number as she reaches into her waistband and pulls out her gun.

"Mirana, your power will come back on-,"

"Tim, Elian is in my apartment,"

"Are you sure?"

"I'm staring right at him so I'm pretty sure,"

"Is that Timothy?" Elian asks, taking a step forward as the power returns to her apartment.

"Don't move!" Mirana snaps. "I will shoot you"

"Come on now mija," Elian shakes his head. "You wouldn't dare risk losing your job over little old me"

"I would happily spend life in prison knowing I'd put you in the ground," Mirana sneers. "You don't know me Elian. But I know you because you haven't changed"

"I suppose you're right," Elian says, pointing a gun at Mirana.

"You think a gun scares me Elian?" Mirana laughs. "I have spent my entire life asustado de ti. You think pointing a gun at me now is going to scare me? I have walked through fuego every single day of my life por ti. That is why I don't care if you point a gun at me"

"You've gotten brave," Elian says. "Foolishly brave, but still brave. Just like your mother"

"Go on," Mirana says. "Shoot me like you shot my mother! But make sure you kill me with one shot because if you don't, destroza a su presa. Piece by piece and the last thing you will see will be me covered in your blood"

"You don't have it in you to kill me,"

"Oh please," Mirana scoffs. "I've been dreaming about this for thirteen years"

"Mirana, stay calm. I've got units on the way. Just keep him talking, and we'll be there soon."

"You're stalling," Elian says, a cruel smile playing on his lips. "You think your friends will save you? They can't protect you forever, pajarito."

Mirana grits her teeth, determined not to let fear surface. "I'm not the scared little girl you left behind, Elian. You don't control me anymore."

Elian's eyes narrow, his finger tensing on the trigger. "You always were stubborn. Just like your mother. But I can break you. I've done it once; I can do it again."

"Me dispararías!" Mirana shouts. "Stop being a coward and shoot me!"

Elian pulls the trigger and Mirana moves as soon as the gunshot registers in her ears. She points the gun at Elian and pulls the trigger, the bullet going straight through the hand that is holding his gun.

"YOU BITCH!" Elian roars, charging forward.

He tackles Mirana to the ground as the woman fights against him, trying to get him off. Elian's hands wrap around her throat and Mirana claws at his hands as she wheezes for breath.

Her hand sneaks down into her pocket and she finds her EpiPen, she uncaps it before jamming it into Elian's thigh. Elian lets go of Mirana's throat as he pulls the EpiPen from his thigh. The effects of the epinephrine start to kick in, causing Elian's muscles to tense and spasm.

Mirana punches Elian in the throat before slamming her foot into his face when he hunches over. Elian falls back and Mirana sprints out of her apartment.

"GET BACK HERE!" Elian roars, firing at Mirana as she runs.

Mirana sprints down the stairs, leaping the last few steps and ignoring the jolting pain in her ankles as she runs. Sirens fill the air as Mirana's hand comes up to her bicep to find it coated in blood.

She sprints into the parking lot as police cars appear. A black car screeches to a halt in front of her and Tim climbs out, running over to her.

"Mirana!" He pushes her bloody hair back from her face.

"Most of the blood is Elian's," Mirana murmurs. "I shot his hand"

"Are you hurt?"

"The bullet grazed my arm," Mirana says.

"EMTs are almost here," Tim says. "I'm just going to park the car and I'll come with you to the hospital"

"How did the op go?" Mirana asks, keeping her hand on the wound.

"Vance shot Isabel in the head, she's in the hospital now," Tim says.

"And you came here?" Mirana asks.

"Of course I did," Tim whispers, pushing a strand of hair back from her face. "I needed you to be safe"