20

"Hey!" Mirana hurries over to Tim, a grin on her face

"Why are you happy right now?" Tim asks.

"Because you're not liable," Mirana says.

"What are you talking about?"

"I went to the garage, ranted at the guy who was on shift about macho crap-"

"Mira, slow down," Tim says, placing his hands on her arms.

"Right, yes," Mirana nods. "The brake lights had been desconectado. The wires had been pulled out and there's no possible way the crash could have caused it"

"No wonder I reacted so slowly," Tim says.

"There's more," Mirana says. "Sarah is clearly a scam Picasso. She had red phosphorus in the trunk of her car. The guy in the garage said it can be used for arson because it's less traceable than gasoline"

"You're brilliant," Tim grins at Mirana. "Let's go talk to her"

Tim and Mirana walk into Sarah Murphy's hospital room and the woman smiles at them. "How can I help you, officers?"

"You rigged the car," Tim says.

"What? No. I didn't," Sarah shakes her head.

"Dashcam says different. So does a physical inspection of your vehicle," Mirana says.

"You searched my car? I didn't give you permission,"

"Good thing I didn't need your permission," Mirana shrugs. "It's part of an investigation which means it can be searched"

"I don't think you were trying to get rear-ended by a police car. Bad luck, honestly," Tim says.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Sarah says.

"Sarah, this is serious. Your vehicle's full of evidence, all admissible against you," Tim says.

"It's not mine," Sarah says.

"Then whose is it? Your boyfriend? The guy who was threatening to sue me earlier?" Tim asks.

"No,"

"What's his name?" Mirana asks.

"I'm not gonna tell you that," Sarah says and Tim grabs her chart.

"Emergency contact, Mike Garvey. And a phone number,"

"So, we're going to go and run a background check on your boyfriend," Mirana says, cuffing Sarah to the bed. "You're gonna stay here because you don't have a choice"

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

"You spoke to Mike?" Sarah asks Mirana who nods.

"And the D.A.," Mirana says. "They're willing to make a deal"

"But only with one of you," Tim says. "And you want it to be you"

"I was about to leave him," Sarah says. "I went over to borrow some suitcases from my sister. I-I didn't know that he messed with my brake lights. I swear"

"What's making you want to leave?" Mirana asks.

"He's gone over the edge. At first, it was just staged accidents. We'd shake down some rich losers for cash or set a few fires for a cut of the insurance money, but now -" Sarah trails off.

"But now what?" Tim presses.

"He's agreed to kill some guy's wife for a cut of the life insurance policy," Sarah says causing Mirana and Tim to share a look of surprise.

"And when is this murder supposed to happen?" Tim asks.

"Later today,"

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

"I can't believe the turn this day has taken," Mirana says, taking the duffel bag from Tim. "Insurance scams to asesinato por encargo?"

"Are you sure about this?" Tim asks as they stand in the doorway of the house Garvey is targeting. "If he's quick with a gun, he could fire shots before we get there"

"Are you questioning if I can handle myself, Timothy?"

"No, of course not,"

"Then go get yourself in position so we can arrest this asshole and still get you to your ceremony this afternoon," Mirana says.

"Alright," Tim nods. "Be careful"

"I always am," Mirana says before entering the house.

Mirana walks into the bathroom and gets changed before pulling the blonde wig on her head. She checks the time on her phone before walking towards the front door of the house.

Mirana walks towards the car, unlocking it before getting in the driver's side. She watches in the wing mirror as Garvey approaches the car with a gun in his hands.

Once she spots the first police car, Mirana pushes the car door open before pointing her gun at Garvey who raises his hands in the air.

"LAPD!" Tim shouts. "Turn around! Drop your weapon! Drop your weapon! Keep your hands up! Sidestep to the right! Keep going! Get down on the ground! On your stomach! Hands out to the side! Now, don't move! Mike Garvey, you're under arrest for attempted murder"

Once Garvey's been secured, Tim lowers his rifle before turning to face Mirana, a grin on his face.

"Nice wig,"

"I think blonde suits me," Mirana says, looking at her reflection in the window of the car.

"I have to agree,"