4

"You hear we've got a new Night General?" Tim asks Mirana as she applies her makeup in the mirror

"I'm sure if I knew what one of those was I'd have heard about it," Mirana replies. 

"They're detectives who respond to any major crime scene after normal business hours. They work the case until it's assigned," Tim explains, placing a mug of coffee on the vanity. "I was thinking-"

"That's always peligroso," Mirana teases him.

"Just hear me out," Tim says. "What if you actually moved some of your stuff in here? Or just moved in? Then instead of going to your apartment to grab clean clothes to then come back to my place, you just have things here"

"My makeup bag lives here," Mirana says.

"Your second makeup bag," Tim corrects her. "You don't have to decide today"

"It all depends," Mirana says.

"On what?"

"Do I have to pay rent?"

"You're an idiot,"

"But you love it," Mirana teases and Tim smiles.

"Yes, I do,"

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

"That's not the same as 'I love you', right?" Mirana asks Lucy and Jackson.

"Girl, the man asked you to move in and you're confused as to whether he may or may not love you?" Lucy asks. "You're dumb"

"Hey! I am not tonto,"

"She's right," Jackson shrugs. "He's been sweet on you since you met him in the bar"

"Sweet on me?" Mirana asks. "Are we in the forties?" 

"She's spiralling," Lucy says, rubbing Mirana's back. "It's so cute"

"Parar," Mirana whines. "I'm spending all day in an enclosed vehicle with him. What if he tries to bring it up? I'm gonna pack something with nuts in"

"Stop being stupid," Lucy laughs. "You two care about each other"

"You've been together longer than Lopez and Wesley," Jackson adds. "They live together"

"Because I.A. has no issue with them being together," Mirana whispers.

"I.A. would have no issue with you and Tim," Jackson shrugs. "I mean there aren't any consequences, it's just frowned upon"

"Settle down. Find a seat," Grey steps up to his podium. "First up, I'd like to congratulate Officer Jackson West on the fine pinch last night. No crook is safe from Officer West, not even his landlord"

As the officers clap, Grey hands Jackson a form. "Letter of commendation?" Jackson asks.

"Change of address form. Your apartment is now considered a "house of ill repute" - and under asset seizure. We need your new address by tomorrow, even if it's Mama's house," Grey says as Mirana and Lucy muffle their amused giggles. "All right. This sharp-dressed man in the doorway is Detective Nick Armstrong. He'll be in the field after hours for your detecting needs. Yes, Officer Lopez?"

"Detective Armstrong, on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is "patrol friendly" and 10 is "making us guard a cleared crime scene in the pouring rain 'cause you get "a power trip off of it," where do you stand?" Angela asks.

"Lopez," Grey says warningly.

"No, it's all right, Sarge. I appreciate a direct question. A lot of cops take off the uniform, they put on the suit. Suddenly, they think they're better than the officers in this room. I'm not one of them," Armstrong says. "Patrol is where it all happens. It's fast, honest, pure, raw. 85% of all crimes are solved at the patrol level. So, the way I see it, I am here to help you, not the other way around. And if that doesn't win you over, I have five dozen of the finest donuts in the break room. That's all I'm saying"

"Detective, you think you can buy us with donuts?" Smitty asks. 

"Absolutely not. Maybe rent you, though."

"Okay, are we done? Good, 'cause we're done. Be safe out there,"

Mirana gets to her feet and turns to leave but Sergeant Grey calling for Tim causes them both to stop.

"Bradford, let me see you a sec," Grey beckons him over before handing him a book. "Chief Williams added another book to your Sergeant's Exam reading list"

"Split Second Leadership: Leading Men In The Line Of Duty," Tim reads the title aloud and Mirana scoffs.

"How old is this book?" She asks. "It's misogino"

"It's from the '60s," Tim says. "How is this relevant to 21st-century policing?"

"Ours is not to reason why, Officer Bradford. Read the book," Grey says and Tim nods.

"Yes, sir,"

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

"Tim, this is four hundred pages of misogino crap," Mirana says. "Also, why are you making the dyslexic read it?"

"If I have to suffer, so do you," Tim says. "So, you're gonna read this out loud to me between calls. Only way I'm gonna get it memorized in time. Besides, I helped you study"

Mirana sighs, pulling out her overlay from the glove box before opening the book.

"Chapter One. True leadership generates respect, not fear. It elevates people, rather than diminishing them," Mirana reads aloud. "I might jump out of the car"

"Just keep reading," Tim says.

"The number-one mistake new leaders make is to think themselves suddenly infallible. The best leaders understand that even the lowliest patrol officer has something valuable to teach them," Mirana reads, her finger tracing the page to keep track of where she is. "Repeat that last part back to me"

"Are you serious?" Tim asks. 

"It's how I learned," Mirana says, an amused smirk on her lips. 

"I also provided you with motivation," Tim replies.

"I can't strip in the patrol car," Mirana rolls her eyes. "Just repeat the line back to me"

"The best leaders understand that even the lowliest patrol officer has something valuable to teach them,"

"God this book is aburridio," Mirana sighs and Tim nods in agreement.

"7-Adam-19, family disturbance at 217 Evergreen,"

"Thank God," Tim says.

"Amen to that," Mirana says reaching over to grab the radio. "7-Adam-19, copy. En route. Okay, ETA three minutes. Want to read some more?"

"No,"

"Good,"

"You can't just cram it into the glovebox!"

"I just did,"