13

"Dispatch, 7-Adam-07

"Dispatch, 7-Adam-07. Show us Code 6 at the Manor Apartments. Premises check,"

"Manor Apartments?" Tim's voice is lined with worry. "That's 6H. Why aren't they calling for backup?"

"Maybe they think they've got it covered?" Mirana asks and Tim shakes his head.

"No, you don't step foot in that place without hats and bats," Tim says.

"7-Adam-07, we're 10-97 on the 11-54 at the Manor Apartments,"

"How far out are we?" Mirana asks.

"At least five minutes," Tim says, turning the lights and sirens on as he slams his foot on the gas.

"Something bad's going to happen," Mirana murmurs. "I can feel it"

"We're going as backup," Tim says. "We're nearly there"

When Tim pulls into Manor Apartments, Mirana's seatbelt is off before Tim stops the car.

"That's their shop. Where do you think they are?" Mirana asks, getting out of the car.

"Someplace they shouldn't be," Tim says. "You don't come here without backup"

"7-Adam-07, what's your 20?" Mirana asks into the radio, only to get no response. "Control, 7-Adam-19, requesting additional units, Manor Apartments, Code 3"

"I lost Jackson, we got separated," Stanton says as he approaches them.

Mirana and Tim move forward and when Mirana spots the figure lying on the ground, she holsters her gun and breaks into a run. Horror is flooding every inch of her body as she notices how still Jackson is.

Mirana drops to her knees next to Jackson, gently rolling him onto his back and a gasp escapes her lips. His entire face is bloody and swollen, his eyes almost entirely sealed shut. Mirana turns to face Tim who looks horrified as he stares at Jackson.

"7-Adam-19, we need an ambulance to our location. Officer down, 27-year-old male, full body trauma," Tim says into his radio. "Still conscious and breathing"

"Tim," Mirana says, her voice thick. "My first aid kit now"

Tim nods and runs towards the police car as Stanton leans over Jackson.

"Who did this to you, buddy?" Stanton asks as Jackson reaches up.

Jackson grabs Stanton's body cam, turning it on as Tim runs over with the first aid kit. Mirana pulls on gloves as Tim pulls Stanton back so Mirana can help Jackson.

"Hey J," Mirana smiles at him weakly, trying to blink back the tears in her eyes.

"How's my face looking?" Jackson croaks out.

"You're as bonito as ever," Mirana replies as she rolls up Jackson's shirt to reveal bootprint bruises all over his torso.

"You look like an angel," Jackson murmurs and Mirana laughs.