18

"Mirana, what are you doing?" Lucy asks

"I am getting my own back," Mirana murmurs, typing away on her screen.

"You're not-" Lucy gasps before laughing. "You're signing him up to be a Make-A-Dream mentor?"

"Si," Mirana nods causing Lucy, Jackson and Nolan to start laughing loudly.

"You're an evil genius," Jackson fist bumps her.

"Time to go Boot!" Angela calls.

"Duty calls," Jackson says, kissing Mirana and Lucy's cheeks before jogging towards Angela.

"You okay?" Lucy asks Nolan who nods.

"Fine. I'm just focusing on the job,"

"I meant your arm," Lucy says and Mirana cringes, wanting to be anywhere else on earth. "You're clearly in pain"

"No. If I was in pain, could I do this?" Nolan lifts his arm before rotating it, wincing slightly.

"That firefighter, Antonio, said you did a high dive," Lucy says and Mirana quirks a curious eyebrow.

"Who's Antonio?" Mirana asks.

"The firefighter that saved that drowning boy," Lucy says and Mirana nods.

"Nice," Mirana grins.

"When did you talk to Antonio?" Nolan asks and Mirana goes back to staring at her phone.

"He called,"

"That was fast,"

"Is that a problem?"

"Not at all. No. We're moving on, right?"

"Yeah. Right,"

Lucy gets up and walks away, heading for the police car and Mirana shakes her head. She slides her phone into her pocket before turning to Nolan.

"Cut her some slack," Mirana says. "If she wants to go out with men, she can. You two aren't in a relationship anymore. You can't guilt her for moving on at her own pace"

With that Mirana gets up, heading straight for the police car, taking the keys from Tim on her way past. She climbs in the car, going on her phone once again to see a missed call from a +53 number which has her brows furrowing as she lifts the phone to her ear to listen to the voicemail.

"An inmate from the Canaleta prison is trying to contact you,"

The automated voice causes Mirana to freeze as a beep sounds before a familiar voice fills her ears causing all of the colour to drain from her face.

"Smart girl, getting your brother to have a death certificate forged. But I'm always two steps ahead, you've made a nice little life for yourself. If you hadn't betrayed me all those years ago, I'd leave you to be happy. But you testified against me, you left me locked in this shithole for nearly fifteen years. So I'm going to pay a visit to L.A. and destroy everything you care about"

Mirana pulls her phone from her ear as the message ends, dropping her phone into her lap. The door slamming closed causes her to jump as she turns to face Tim.

"Jumpy," Tim says and Mirana just hums in response. "Do I need to be worried that your current mood is gonna affect our chances in this competition?"

"Estoy bien," Mirana mutters as Tim starts driving through the streets. "Let's just get this stupid competition done with"

"I've won this stupid competition five years and counting,"

"I get it, do you want a trophy or something?" Mirana asks.

"Is this about the DUI?" Tim asks. "Look, that wasn't about score. It was about making sure that guy sees the inside of a cell"

"Yeah, I know," Mirana says. "But you could have killed him"

"It's our job to always maintain perspective," Tim says.

Mirana's phone rings, revealing Nell's name as the caller ID so she answers, putting it on speaker.

"Hey, so we just got a call about an armoured car robbery. Suspects were seen wearing ski masks on Wilshire and Robertson,"

"Hot damn. We're back in it,"

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

Tim turns into the alleyway, lights flashing and sirens blaring as he blocks the armoured truck from exiting the alley.

Instantly, the men open fire, bullets firing through the windshield. Mirana and Tim both duck to avoid the bullets as they push the car doors open.

Mirana grabs her gun from its holster as she climbs out of the car before she begins returning fire. Tim joins Mirana in returning fire, their shots aimed at the masked assailants attempting to flee with the stolen loot.

Mirana watches as the two men disappear into the back of the truck and slam a door closed, creating a barrier between the cab and cargo area.

"Why did they lock themselves in there?" Mirana asks.

"There's a safety feature in armoured cars that allows drivers to escape to the back under fire. They're now locked in a bulletproof fortress, and we're gonna be here all day trying to get them out," Tim explains before speaking into his radio. "7-Adam-19, shots fired. Suspects barricaded, requesting SWAT"

"I can try and call the armoured car company. They should have a master key," Mirana suggests and Tim shakes his head.

"It'll take them hours to get here. Hours where Lopez and Talia are running up the score on us,"

"You seem more interested in that than in us getting lit up by the guys in the truck. What happened to maintaining perspective?"

"I don't need to be analyzed by you," Tim rolls his eyes. "My perspective is spot-on. I want to win and put these guys behind bars"

"Yeah, I do, too. But they're not going down without a fight. We need backup,"

"And I called for it. Which is what they expect us to do. They think - They think we'll stay here all day and wait for them. Which means their guard will be down,"

Tim takes the Halligan out of the trunk of the car and starts moving towards the armoured truck.

"If this thing is bulletproof, what's a Halligan going to do?"

"I'm not using it to get in," Tim says. "I want them to come out"

"If they're armed and barricaded, we should wait for SWAT," Mirana says, following Tim.

"The weapons won't matter if they can't see anything. Cover the back,"

Mirana gets in place as Tim uses the tool to pry a small opening in the side of the truck before pulling out his can of pepper spray.

"Just add pepper spray," Tim says, spraying it into the opening. "And-"

Coughing and shouting can be heard from within the truck as Mirana and Tim get into position, pointing their guns at the back of the truck. The doors burst open and the two suspects climb out of the truck, coughing and spluttering.

"Drop your weapon! Down on the ground!"

"Down on the ground and on your stomachs!"

"Put your hands behind your back!"

"Felony carjacking, armed robbery, attempted murder. That's 14 more points,"

"Yay," Mirana says rolling her eyes.

"Your attitude is not boosting my morale,"