Chapter Thirty-Eight

The next morning was bliss. Waking up in a comfortable bed next to Astarion with the light of dawn breaking through the large windows - and this was going to be my forever. The thought filled me with so much joy and promise that I could lay in bed no longer. I kissed Astarion's brow and slipped out of the cozy blankets, then grabbed for my shabby clothes that were on the floor from yesterday. 

I went from room to room, looking for an outfit suitable for town. Eventually I found a beautiful pink dress, much finer than anything I had ever worn, and I claimed it as my own. Going back to the room Astarion and I had been in, I took an actual bath, taking time to wash out my curls and scrub just about everywhere. When I was finished, I put on the dress. I looked in the mirror and saw someone else. Someone that belonged in Baldur's Gate. Someone beautiful. 

"That suits you." Astarion's voice caught me off guard and I blushed, turning away from my reflection. 

"Thank you. I stole it from a wardrobe a few rooms down. Do you think anyone will mind?"

"Everyone that might have owned that dress is either dead or in the Underdark so no, I don't think they'll mind, love." He came up to me and pressed a kiss to my lips. "Where are you off to?" 

"I wanted to go in the city today. Look around for a place to start my art shop," I replied. "What will you accomplish today?" 

"I'm going to take over the family business," He said, smirking. "Can't you just see it? Me, sitting behind a desk, organizing meetings with influential citizens? Using my new fortune to sway politicians? It all sounds lovely to me." Astarion tugged lightly on one of my curls. "We could throw a ball to announce it - the Ancunin palace."

"Ancunin?" The word was unfamiliar to me. 

"It's my last name," Astarion said. "My family's name." There was a sadness in his eyes that I knew no amount of time would be able to heal. "When you're finished today, come find me. I have something to show you." 

I nodded. "I love you, Astarion." 

He kissed my forehead. "I love the sound of that." 

.................................................

Baldur's Gate was bustling with the nice weather and the crystal-clear waves of the sea rolled lazily with the slight breeze coming in. It was a gorgeous day, one that I hoped would forecast the rest of my years here in the city. 

There were five shops I visited. One close to the graveyard and a place called "The Devil's Fee", two near the Blushing Mermaid, another down by the docks, and the last was all the way down by Heapside Strand. Along the way I ran into some familiar tieflings from the Grove, including Zevlor, who wished me well on my way. The day was full and pleasant; I had a wonderful time traversing the cobblestone streets and meeting the local vendors. 

I eventually made my way back to the palace, and as I walked through the grand foyer, there were what appeared to be servants dusting and polishing. 

"Hello," I called to them. The two young women curtsied, then continued with their work. I went up the staircase and to our room. No sign of Astarion, but our bags were tucked away and everything in them had been organized around the room, making it officially ours. My clothes were clean and hung neatly into a wardrobe, while Astarion's boots were sitting in the corner of the room. I found neither my art supplies nor Astarion, so I began to explore the rooms of the palace once again. 

I ventured toward the heart of the castle and heard loud classical music playing from down a beautifully decorated hallway. There was a strange dais leading far, far down and a few rooms. I followed the sound, going down the hall and putting my ear up to one ornate door, then knocking. 

"Come in," Astarion's voice, muffled through the wood, reached my ears. I opened the door and was met with blasting music and the smell of pine. Astarion sat at the desk near the other end of the room, one hand running through his hair and the other holding a dark quill. His sharp features were tight with concentration. His eyes flickered up in an instant and his expression morphed into delight. 

"My, my, little bird. Where did you fly off to today?" He asked, standing and making his way to me. Astarion swept me into his arms and kissed me soundly, taking my breath away. 

"I've been all over the city. Astarion, it's beautiful here, it's so much more than I could have ever imagined," I began. "Remember the tieflings in the Grove? They made it safely to the city as well. I even went down to the docks and felt the sea. It was amazing." 

Astarion's eyes softened as I spoke, hands on my waist and fingers tracing idly up and down my corset. 

"I'm glad. I worried ..." He shook his head. "I was worried Baldur's Gate wouldn't live up to your high expectations. I'm happy I needn't worry any longer."

"Will you go with me tomorrow? I need to decide on a place to set up shop," I replied. "A handsome tour guide would be most helpful." I took in his princely attire. A completely black ensemble that I had never seen before. "Where did you find this?"

"Do you like?" Astarion stepped away from me and did a mock twirl. "I found it in one of Cazador's millions of dressers littering this place. Also, I found this," He grabbed my hand and led me back toward the desk, then pressed the new signet ring on his finger to a tiny slot along the wall. Suddenly, the walls opened up and revealed endless treasures - trophies, swords, scrolls, and dozens of objects made completely out of gold. 

"We're rich!"' Astarion nearly shouted, throwing his arms up in the air. "Now, come here," He took me once again, but this time we left the room entirely, going back out into the hallway and to the next closest door. Astarion pushed it open, and I discovered where all of my art supplies had gone. The room was magnificent, with golden engravings along the ceiling and the trim, as well as a marble floor and extravagant furniture. An easel stood in front of a window that faced the setting sun along the shores of Baldur's Gate. It was breathtaking. 

"Is this ... is this room for us?" I asked, nearly choking on the tears forming in my eyes. 

"It's all for you, Tav. Do whatever pleases you," He cooed, raising my hand to his lips and placing a kiss along my knuckles. 

My painting of him, still covered, lay next to the easel, and all of my brushes and pencils were neatly organized on a nearby table. I went for the portrait and grabbed it, then handed it to Astarion. 

"All I had to do to see this thing was to give you a room? Remind me to surprise you more often," He joked, but the hunger in his eyes gave away how excited he was to see my art. Astarion gulped, looked to me, then back to the covered canvas. He lifted the sheet and audibly gasped at the image painted just for him. 

"Gods, Tav," Astarion admired the portrait for some time before continuing. "I look rather good. Do I always look this good?"