Chapter Three

At camp, Shadowheart and Gale were discussing different magics of their homelands – and how the goddess Selune fit into it all. When the three of us found our way back, Gale seemed indifferent towards our new companion and gave a short introduction before tumbling back into his endless conversation. Shadowheart, however, was nothing short of disgusted when Lae'zel sat by the campfire.

"Oh, wonderful. You found the gith," Shadowheart said. The tone of her voice had me wondering how long it would take for the two of them to draw swords on each other.

"Silence, wretch," Lae'zel hissed. "I'll cut you down and feed you to the wolves."

Shadowheart countered. "Bold words from someone who got lost in broad daylight. How long did you circle the same rock before you realized you weren't moving?"

"Oh no, she wasn't lost," Astarion piped in. "Lae'zel was captured by two tieflings and trapped. Tav and I rescued her."

I cleared my throat, loudly.

"Ah, that's right, so sorry. I do believe I did the rescuing, and Tav might've been there," Astarion said, mending his tale in all the wrong places.

"The githyanki warrior, captured and caught, saved by a drow and an elf." Shadowheart let out a heartless laugh.

"Scum. I'll carve out your tongue." Lae'zel looked ready to pounce. Before she could though, Shadowheart yawned and stood, ending their bitter fight. 

"I've heard enough for today. I'll see you all in the morning." She went to her designated corner of the camp - a makeshift cot under a tree. Lae'zel, fuming, stormed in the other direction. Astarion and I took spots near the campfire opposite Gale.

Before Astarion could let out a sound, I gave him a sharp smack on the shoulder. His eyes grew wide, and his eyebrows raised – the picture of perfect innocence.

"What have I done to deserve such admonishment?" He asked.

"You knew mentioning we had rescued Lae'zel would keep them fighting," I said. "Yet you urged them on anyway. Are you a god of chaos come to play with us?"

Astarion's body shifted and his face angled toward mine. With his devilish eyes molten in the firelight, he seemed to look right through me.

"You think me a god, little one?" His voice sent shivers down my spine. "I've heard tales of gods seducing young women simply by looking at them. Do you believe I have such powers?" I felt the lightest touch of his lips tracing down my ear as he moved in closer. "If it were true, and if I were such a godly thing, the only one I'd choose to play with is you, darling."

I willed every muscle in my body not to liquidate as I turned to face Astarion. The tip of my nose brushed against his and for the briefest of moments I wanted him. Wanted to feel his cool hands along my thighs. Wanted his tongue on my neck. Wanted his lips moaning my name. And as if he could read all of this in my face, Astarion chuckled with that sultry voice of his.

"For future reference," He started to back away, still speaking in that low tone meant just for me. "If your goal is to punish me, you'll have to hit me harder than that. I'm a wild thing to tame and I'm certain a smack on the shoulder will only get you into trouble. I'll see you in the morning, Tav." Astarion stood and sauntered into the darkness, finding his own area to settle down in. The second he was out of view, I felt my bones turn to butter and melt away, leaving me breathless and aching.

"Are you unwell? I know a quick spell that would fix you right up." Gale's voice from across the fire shocked me back into reality.

"Oh, thank you, but it's nothing sleep can't solve." I stood up and breathed in the crisp night air. The cool breeze felt good against my flushed skin, but I still heard Astarion's voice in my mind.