Chapter Nineteen

"We must make our way to Baldur's Gate." Halsin said. He had been waiting patiently most of the morning for our hungover asses to wake up. 

"I agree," Gale replied. "I'm eager to remove these tadpoles and I believe our answer lies there. There's a temple for Mystra as well and we'd be wise to ask her advice on the matter."

I rubbed at my bleary eyes and yawned my agreement as well, with Shadowheart and Karlach doing much of the same. 

"Then it's settled." Lae'zel sheathed the sword that she had been polishing. "Let us clean up camp and make haste." 

Halsin held out his hands to halt us from moving any further on. "I must warn you all - the safest way to Baldur's Gate from here is through the Underdark. Along the high road we will be completely overrun by goblins and ogres and the like."

"The Underdark, safe?" Wyll laughed. "I understand that we have a drow to lead us, but I'd rather take our chances with the goblins than go below the earth's crust. " 

A sinking dread knotted itself into my stomach. I hadn't thought of going back to Baldur's Gate through the Underdark, but I did know the way through like the back of my hand. It would be short and quick - but dangerous all the same. 

"Tav, darling," Astarion cooed my name, sensing my obvious discomfort. "What do you say? You know the Underdark and you know your way out of it. Which way do we choose?" He stepped closer and whispered for me only, "I'm with you whatever you choose. I promise." 

This was enough to convince me of what I needed to do. "I vote we go through the Underdark." 

Karlach gave a high pitched squeal of excitement. "You mean we're gonna go visit your house?" 

I laughed. "We can make a pitstop if you really insist, but don't expect a warm welcome from anyone. They'll be pissed at me. Especially my mother." 

"Are you sure?" Shadowheart asked me. "We'll be able to take on a few hoards of goblins if you don't want to go through there again." 

I shook my head. "I made it out once, I'll make it out again. Don't worry about me. We need to get to Baldur's Gate as soon as possible."

With that, no more discussion was needed. We packed up our things and the group followed Halsin all the way back to the goblin camp - the treck taking us once again into nightfall. The evening was uneventful and full of exhausted campers. As soon as our heads hit the bedrolls, they were sound asleep. 

That is, everyone except for me. 

Raefi and Della's faces plagued my mind, their looks of dismay as I told them I was leaving. With my pack swung over my shoulder and filled with an array of foods and coins to get me through the first few days of being above ground. Then, once I was settled in Baldur's Gate, I would sent for them. 

"I feel as if I'm never going to see you again," Raefi had cried. She always had the softest heart of all of us. I handed her a few sketches I had drawn of the three of us. 

"Just in case," I told her. "I want you to remember me." 

Della hadn't spoken a word when I left but it was for the best. If she had said anything to dissuade me from going then I probably would have stayed. She was nothing if not stubborn. 

I hadn't said goodbye to my mother, but I sensed that she knew what I was up to. I had spent months trying to plan my path out of the Underdark, only to be caught sneaking around by her every time. The long, thin scars on my back were a constant reminder of my insolence. A reminder of her love, she had said. I shuddered at the memory of me crying, begging for mercy, begging for my father to come back and save me from the cruel new woman that my mother had transformed into. 

Sleep eventually took me, but only restless dreams plagued my mind. The morning came all too soon and once again we were off on our adventure. We plundered our way through the goblin city and its castle's ruins, and deep within the center of the castle, was a room full of moons and mirrors. 

"It's a test." Shadowheart gazed thoughtfully at the moon spheres beneath our feet. "This is a trick of Selune. I'd recognize her magic anywhere." 

"That's wonderful, truly," Astarion drawled. "But what I'd really love to know is if you can solve it." 

"Well, I can certainly try, but there's no guarantee that it'll work - "

"Hey guys! I found a lever!" Karlach shouted. Before we could stop her, she pulled it, and a loud click echoed in the all too quiet chamber. Then, a loud clunking noise as the nearby iron gate began to rise, opening our way into the Selunite outpost that was not very well hidden. 

"I guess that works too," Shadowheart mumbled. 

"Sorry, love, didn't mean to spoil your fun," Karlach apologized, sincere guilt all over her face. It would take someone as heartless as Lae'zel not to forgive her. 

Halsin and I took tentative steps into the outpost - and into the Underdark. 

The air was just the same as it had been a few weeks ago. Stifled. Cold. And moist. Astarion followed close behind me, offering invisible support, while Shadowheart actually grabbed for my hand and held it. Somehow, they could both tell how nervous I was. Then, the tadpole, or whatever power connected all of our minds, sent a wave of security over me. I was safe and protected and ... loved. I looked behind me at my new friends and lover. They were all here for me. And they would be until the end. 

As we walked further into the outpost, a giant minotaur came running at the gate that separated us from the rest of the Underdark, roaring and scaring me shitless. We readied our weapons, waiting for the beast to break through the gate, but the magical beam standing erect in the middle of the outpost send a blazing bolt of pure light at the monster, instantly evaporating him into the air. 

"Ah, home sweet home," I said.