Chapter Five

As we walked through the grove, our little group attracted quite a few stares from the locals. One could distinctly tell who was looking at me - the scary scaley drow - and who was looking at the two men accompanying me - the tall, handsome heroes who had helped save the grove. All around us was the buzz of apprehension. Tieflings were arguing on whether to stay or face the dangers of the road ahead. The tension between the occupants of this place was palpable.

Finding the Sacred Pool was simple, but with all the guards surrounding it, it seemed getting in would be more difficult.

"Hold it right there!" A druid woman stopped us before we could cross the threshold. Her weapon wasn't as intimidating as the bear beside her, however.

"Please, let us pass. We have business with Kagha," Gale said. This did little to sway the woman.

"No child of the Underdark is welcome in Silvanus' Grove," She spoke, gesturing to me. "I don't care who you think you are, you're not getting in alive." 

"I doubt Kagha would show kindness to the druid who killed this grove's hero," Astarion drawled. "This woman here saved the lives of every person in this Silvanus forsaken place. You'd be wise to show her courtesy." 

The bear huffed and growled, and the druid woman seemed to understand him. She mumbled something in reply, and after some back and forth, the druid lowered her weapon. 

"Fine. You'll find Kagha in the Inner Sanctum." 

Gale gave a quick bow, a show of thanks and respect. "Many thanks, milady. And, uh, Sir Bear." 

The bear scratched at his head with a paw. I don't think he cared for our wizard friend. 

Entering the Sacred Pool, I felt an unease with our surroundings. Knowing just about everyone in here wanted me dead was more than a little anxiety inducing, and this must have shown on my face because Gale nudged my shoulder. He gave me that reassuring smile of his and I took a deep breath, forcing myself to remain calm. We found the doors to the Inner Sanctum and pushed them open - a cool breeze from the deep cave tickled my face, and homesickness gnawed at my heart for the first time since I left the Underdark.

"What do we suppose is going on down there?" Astarion asked. I followed his gaze and noticed the crying child and the fierce looking red head that must have been Kagha. We went down the stone carved steps, making our way closer to the scene below us. 

"Please, Kagha, this is not the way to go about this," A dark skinned druid man was trying to reason with the red head. "The girl, she's only a -"

"A what? A murderer? A criminal? A lying thief?" Kagha interrupted the man. "I will not stand for this betrayal in my grove. Especially not from a pathetic she-demon like this." 

"Halsin would not approve, my lady." The man's words struck a nerve within Kagha, and she lunged at him, eyes burning. 

"Do not speak of Halsin in my presence. He is gone - I am in charge." 

I saw the venomous snake circling the small girl and pointed it out to my companions. The last thing any of us needed was a poisoned snake bite. 

"Murder and theft? Tell me, what are the girl's true crimes?" I called out to Kagha. Her sharp glare was turned to me - but the expression melted into a smile just as quickly. 

"Ah, a daughter of the spider queen. One of Lolth's very own. Surely you can understand the need for protecting ones' pack. A mother caring for her children and doing whatever she must to keep them safe. Is that not the way in the Underdark?" Her fascination with the ways of Lolth's children, as interesting as it was, was disconcerting in a place so full of druids who loathed my very existence.