Chapter Thirty-Three

As we exited the dungeon and made our way through the palace, the group of us were silent. My thirst was becoming insatiable but I was too scared to bring it up to my companions. What help could they possibly offer? Besides lending me a neck or capturing a person for me to drink from, there wasn't much they could do. I tugged on Astarion's hand, getting him to look down at me. When he finally did, his eyes were a million miles away. 

"Yes, love?" 

"I need help," I whispered. "I'm - I'm very thirtsy. I don't know what to do. What do I do about this?" 

His expression hardened as he realized what I was saying. "Gale, we'll meet you outside. We need to take a bit of a detour," Astarion said. He held onto my hand and turned into a nearby corridor, then down many flights of stairs. We were traveling into the heart of the castle it seemed. Astarion assured me that he knew exactly where he was going - reminding me that this had been his place of residence the past two hundred years. 

"Cazador had a cellar, I remember seeing it only a few times in all my time here," Astarion explained. "It should be fully stocked. We can take a few bottles along with us and that should keep you satisfied for the first few weeks. Then, we'll figure something else out." 

"I can't drink people. I can't do it," I whimpered. 

"And you won't have to, I promise," He assured me, "I'll be with you every step of the way, Tav. I will not abandon you with this burden." 

I felt tears trickle down my face at his words. My emotions had been an absolute world wind every since yesterday morning when Astarion had told me that he loved me and wanted me to live with him in Baldur's Gate. Now, I was a master-less vampire spawn, forced to live a life in the shadows. My head wanted to explode with all that was going on. 

"Ah ha!" Astarion had led us to a giant wooden door. "This is it, I'm sure of it. Let's take a peek, shall we?" He pushed the door open with both hands. "Ladies first?" 

I stepped through into the darkness. The stone walls were line with bottles and canteens of what one would assume to be wine. Astarion and I knew better. He followed me into the cellar and began reading the labels on each bottle, selecting a few and handing them to me. 

"One of the things you'll notice is that different blood types taste differently. The aging of blood is opposite of aging wine. The blood will begin to coagulate and congeal and become undrinkable. Here, try this," Astarion said, handing me a deep red bottle. 

I uncorked the top and could immediately smell the blood within. It was rich and musky, and the burning in the my throat increased. Without thinking, I put the bottle to my lips and began to drink, gulping like I'd been in the desert for days. Astarion turned away and allowed me some privacy - instead finding a crate in the corner and loading it up with bottles. After I had finished my drink, I instantly felt better. Happier. Like I could take on the world. 

"Do you feel better?" Astarion asked. He held the crate in his arms and looked me up and down. 

I nodded. 

"Good. Let's take these and meet back with the others." Astarion took a few tentative steps toward me. He was covered in Cazador's blood, except for where his tears had streaked down his cheeks after killing his master. Astarion leaned forward and placed a kiss on my cheek. 

We left the cellar and made our way back to the others - finding Gale waiting for us in the main foyer where we had entered. 

"I told the rest of the group to go back to camp. Tav, how are you doing?" Gale rushed over to me and held me at arms' length, inspecting me for new injuries. 

I gave him a weak smile. "I'm fine, Gale. Thank you." 

For a moment, the intensity in his eyes and the way he leaned in had me wondering if he was going to try and kiss me. I backed out of his reach instinctively and pressed my body against Astarion's side. 

"Right. Well." Gale gathered himself. "Let's get going, shall we?" He turned and walked out the gigantic door, out into the sun. I went to follow him, but Astarion shouted for me to stop. 

"The only reason I could walk in the sun was because of the tadpole we had placed in our heads. We might not be able to go out with them, Tav." He set down his crate and put a hand on my shoulder. "Let me go first. 

After so long living in the Underdark, the possibility that I'd never be allowed in the sunlight again made me tremble with anxiety. I watched Astarion march out of the foyer and into the sunlight, shielding his eyes with his hand as he went. When he was fully engulfed in light, Astarion just stood there, unmoving. Then he began shouted and jumping around. 

"Astarion?" I cried out, wanting to run toward him but scared of the sunlight. "What's happening?" 

"Tav! Tav, it's amazing," Astarion exclaimed, running back to me, taking my hands, and then pulling me back outside with him. I shut my eyes, braced for the pain, but instead, I felt nothing but the cool breeze off the sea on my skin. 

"Oh, thank the gods," I whispered to myself. "How can this be?" 

"Some remnants of magic must be left over from the tadpole," Astarion guessed, matching the relief in my chest with a smile as bright as the sun itself. "I don't care how it works but thank goodness it does." He went back and grabbed the crate of blood bottles and then came back to me. "Come, little love. Let's go back to camp. I have a lot to teach you about your new ... gifts."