Chapter Thirteen

I wasted no time in finding Karlach, not that it was hard to see her standing in the middle of camp, skin ablaze and smile bright. 

"'Mornin! I was thinking of cooking us up some fried eggs. I found a few nests nearby and I'm starved." Karlach looked me over. "You look like you got a proper fuck last night. Am I right?" 

I felt the blood rush to my cheeks instantly. She laughed, a hearty booming sound. I couldn't help but smile at the joy that radiated from Karlach. 

"I might have had a bit of fun - but there's something I needed to ask you, actually." 

"Ahhh, I see," Karlach purred. "You're in need of some tips and tricks! I don't know if I have any specifics on vampires, but - "

"Nonono, thank you, Karlach." I stopped her before she could continue. "I need you to take a look at something for me." 

"What, like a rash? I won't be any help with that, Tav." Karlach made a face. "Better fix that before Astarion sees."

I smacked my palm against my forehead. "Gods, just, come here, would you?" 

We walked to where Astarion stood, surrounded by his stolen and collected goods that he insisted on bringing to camp. There was a velvet chair, curtains from red fabric, and a few other lush carpentries and decorative items littered around his area. He had his shirt off once again and was feeling the scar tissue on his back, trying to decipher what his eyes couldn't see. 

"Why in the hells is there infernal script on him?" Karlach asked, her voice loud enough that it drew a high pitched yelp from Astarion.

"For fuck's sake, could you knock?" He snapped at us. 

"Oh, do you want us to leave?" I asked sweetly. As much as i wanted to help,  I wasn't about to be treated like a nuisance. 

"There isn't exactly a door to knock on, mate." Karlach put her hands on her hips. 

"Right. Well." Astarion nodded his head toward me as a small apology. "Now that you're here, I need you to -"

"- would you please-" I amended.

"Would you please," Astarion muttered through his teeth. "read my back for me." 

"Sure thing," Karlach said. She studied the carvings for a few moments and her generally jovial face turned sour. 

"This isn't good." 

I felt my heart drop as Astarion's face twisted, both of us unprepared for those words. 

"This is just a piece of a puzzle. It's like ... a summoning ritual, but instead of conjuring an entity, it's conjuring power. The power of vampiric ascension," Karlach explained. "Your master, Cazador, has made a bargain for this power. You, Astarion, plus the souls you've brought to him. He'll have unlimited power - no harm from the sun, magical abilities, basically he'll be deathless." 

"But, he needs Astarion to complete the ritual?" I asked. The urge to protect what was now mine was overwhelming. I wanted to take him and run far away from Baldur's Gate where he would be safe from this asshole Cazador. 

"Unlimited power?" Astarion's eyes sparkled. "Does it have any loopholes in there? I'd love to get some of this power for myself." 

"And sacrifice all of the innocents that Cazador has been collecting?" Karlach asked. It was clear that she was unhappy with this decision. 

"I'm tired of living in the dark. Up until those monsters put tadpoles in our heads, every move I've made and breath that I've taken has been at his command." Astarion's face was shadowed, but I could see the expression clear on his face - he was ashamed to admit all of this. "This power could mean freedom for me. And after this never ending hell, this pure shit, I think I deserve something better."

Karlach was silent for a moment. "I understand wanting more than what you're given. I only pray you don't lose your morals in the process." She gave me a quick shoulder squeeze and ducked out of Astarion's makeshift home, leaving just the two of us. 
I watched him pull his tunic back over his head, keeping his eyes to the floor and his chin lowered. 

"Don't tell me you think so highly of me as well," He murmured softly. "My morals concern only myself. I don't care who I have to push out of the way to get what I want."

"You won't get rid of me that easily," I countered, and while my voice held firm, my heart was stuttering in my chest. Did he mean to push me away too? 

With his profile turned away from me and the red shadows from the sun beating down on us, Astarion looked otherworldly. My fingers itched with the urge to draw and paint him. Maybe in Baldur's Gate I could buy some nice oil paints and do a portrait for him. 

"I'm going to join the others. We'll begin planning for the Goblin City." I said before leaving Astarion to sulk by himself. Before I met with the rest of the group though, I rummaged through my things and found some paper and charcoal. I lay them on my cot, reminding my future self to do a bit of sketching.