Chapter Eleven

With the rest of the group setting up their tents and sleeping areas, Astarion and I wandered over to do the same. The afternoon sun beat down on me as I helped assemble camp and collect firewood, causing sweat to run down my back and bead along my forehead. Everyone else seemed to be in the same boat - besides Karlach. A roasting summer day was no match for the fire pits of Hell itself. 

With Astarion's invitation on my mind, the sweat and grime of our adventuring were more noticeable than ever, and there was no way I was going to bed with him smelling like a dirty campfire. So, I looked around for Shadowheart. 

"I'm about ready for a break from the sun. You in?" I asked her. She was laying beneath a large pine tree and trying to stay out of the burning sun. My question had her jumping to her feet, ready to go. 

"Absolutely. Should we grab the others? There's a fairly large pond nearby that we could all cool off in." Shadowheart placed her silver circlet and other valuables in a safe place by her tent. "I'll grab Karlach if you can convince Lae'zel to join us." 

I saw Lae'zel training with her fighting dummy out of the corner of my eye. Even as I approached her, she continued thwacking and swishing her weapon at the dummy, ignoring me. 

"Lae'zel. Lae'zel!" When she still didn't stop, I waved one of my hands, placing a quick holding spell on her. 

"Sk'va! What is this magic - let me go, drow!" Lae'zel struggled against the spell, but my magic was by far stronger than her brute force. 

"Lae'zel, it's too hot for you to be training like this. You'll get heatstroke," I said. "Come with the others and me. We're going to a pond to cool down." 

"I don't need anyone telling me what to do. Release me this instant!" Lae'zel spat at me. I did as she asked and released my hold on her. Gale, motherly instincts kicking in, jogged over to us. 

"Ladies, ladies, what's the fuss about?" His tender smile landed on me, but I felt a stab of guilt from it. As far as I knew, he was interested in me, and I was going to have steamy hot vampire sex later on tonight with someone else. All in all, I felt kind of bad for the guy. 

"I will find this pond on my own. You won't have to escort me like a child," Lae'zel huffed, throwing her weapon on the ground and stomping off toward the trees. I saw Shadowheart and Karlach stare after her, then laugh. While it would be funny now, the thought of Lae'zel throwing mini tantrums anytime someone tried to communicate with her had a headache forming in my temples. I was not looking forward to it in the slightest. 

"I'm sorry for the commotion. I was trying to get her to take a break and come with us to the pond to get a drink and clean up a bit, but she hates to listen to any of us." I walked over to my tent, dropped my weapons, and grabbed a clean tunic and undergarments to change into after my bath. 

"Ahh, a dip in the cool water sounds delectable," Gale sighed, still standing close to me. 

"Why don't you join us?" I asked. His face turned bright pink and a little gasp escaped his lips. 

"Me? Join you? All of you. In the pond. Naked?" When his words came out in jumbled incomplete sentences, I realized the strangeness of my question. 

"I mean, not with us, with us," I amended. "Maybe on the other side or something. Or we could all take turns. But it would be good for you to take a break, Gale. That's what I meant." 

He laughed but was still obviously nervous. "Maybe we will. Thanks for the offer, Tav." 

............................................................