Chapter Nine

Hi everyone! Just wanted to give a quick little note before we continue with our story :)
In my playthrough of bg3 I actually killed Wyll and Karlach on accident, so everything I know about them is based on tiktok research. Sorry if they're poorly misrepresented :(

"Will someone tell me who this guy is?" Shadowheart asked. 

I barely heard her question over my nervous heartbeat. Wyll was leading our group back toward the druid grove we had so narrowly escaped from, but I hoped that Zevlor was now in charge - and not sending search parties after us. 

"How much further?" Gale called to the front, chipper as ever. Next to him, Astarion sulked, obviously not enjoying himself. 

"We're nearly there. Once we pass the cliff's edge, be prepared to rally together," Wyll responded. "The devil is a servant of Zariel. We must be careful." 

"Zariel? The archdevil of Avernus?" Shadowheart guffawed, loudly. "Lady light our way. There's no way we'll survive. Tav, are we sure about this?" 

"Too late now," I muttered. I drew my weapon and crouched down. "There it is, over there, sitting on the rock. See it?" 

The devil was about a dozen yards away, but with its flaming skin, it was easy to catch glimpse of. Wyll's face became solid rock as we snuck forward, moving slowly enough that we wouldn't startle the birds or other creatures frolicking about the area. 

"Can you pray for us, Shadowheart?" Gale whispered. 

"I've been praying since I met you fools," Shadowheart whispered back.

"Silence, both of you!" Lae'zel hissed at them. "There should be no sound from our lips." 

"Ooooh, Lae'zel just broke her own rule,"Shadowheart teased. Gale threw a hand over his mouth to stifle his laughter. 

"This is really how I'm going to die." Astarion sighed and glared in my general area, directing the blame at me. I could only hope that this devil was one of the weaker ones. And maybe that she was deaf. 

"You know I can hear you over there?" The devil called out from where it was perched, her voice rich and warm.

 Without a word, Wyll sprang up from his concealed position and charged at the devil, leaving the rest of us to watch. Lae'zel followed his lead, sword in hand. 

"Well shit." I jumped up as well. We ran together and surrounded the devil, making her only escape the drop off behind her. I looked her over. The devil didn't look very ... devil-ish. She was missing one of her horns and a great fire churned within her, almost like a heartbeat. 

"This is the end, Karlach," Wyll stated, sword at the ready. The devil, Karlach, gave a hearty laugh. 

"The Blade of the Frontiers. We meet again!" Karlach grinned. "Thought I had finally outrun you, but here you are, again." 

"Wyll, are you sure this is the right lady?" I asked. When I met eyes with Karlach, the familiar ache of the tadpole buzzed through my skull. Visions of Hell filled my mind. Armies of the undead swarmed around Karlach, but she swung her axe in the name of Zariel, her mistress. 

"Vile, unholy thing!" Wyll shouted. "I will send you back to Hell today."

"Wait, Wyll!" Shadowheart cried out as we were hit with more images. Karlach trapped in Zariel's temple, then, fighting her way to freedom. Slaughtering Zariel's guards and followers in her attempt to escape. 

"I promise you, I'm no servant of Zariel," Karlach pleaded, hands outstretched and eyes soft. "I've been trying to escape her for years and years. I'm no devil and I wish you no harm, Blade."