Chapter 39

"Wh, wh, what's wrong? Is it because you're getting expelled? It's a shock, but you won't need to care about your grades anymore......You were always bored with academy life."

"You don't have to study anymore. So don't worry too much. Alright?"

"She must have been scared again. All that happened on the train."

"Oh, is that so?"

"......But!"

"We would have been here even if you hadn't asked us to!"
"I'll ask my uncle again."

There was no guarantee that it would work out. The opponent was Professor Hartz, who had a firm opinion. There was probably a small chance of reversing the decision once made.

Leto muttered, unable to grasp the situation

"Well, about Bree......."

"......."

......This is bad, really bad.

"Hic! Huaa!"

"W-What about Bree? I, It's because of me! Now it looks like you need to starve!"

Suddenly, my heart to comfort her died down.

"I won't starve!"

"Still!"

"Then what about the magic research institute? What about your family?"

"......."

"You said an academic background isn't important, but if you graduate from the academy, you can achieve what you want faster and easier, Bree."

"......I don't have to go fast. I feel impatient, but that makes me anxious. Like you said, I can't wait to achieve the future. I definitely want to see a happy future as soon as possible. But being fast doesn't mean you will succeed. What matters is that we have reached our goal."

"Sometimes a slow path is more beneficial than a shortcut. If you take a shortcut, it's definitely faster to get to the goal, but if you take a slow path, you'll have a lot of time to slowly look at the moment and learn from it."

I wasn't confident. Even as I spoke, I felt the regret of missing that shortcut. It was already hard to imagine that I would fall behind alone when everyone was ahead.

"But talking about this makes me upset. Why don't we achieve what we came here in the first place?"

"Have a talk and come back. Don't worry about us."

"What should I do now? I'm screwed now!"

What? Sometimes a slower path than a shortcut is beneficial? What's the point of reaching your goal?

"That's a far cry from what you said before in front of Bellion......"

"Bree, don't think about it too negatively, think about the bright side too."

"Is there really a bright side?"

"......You're right."

Thinking for a long time, I raised my head.

The bright side? Come to think of it, Leto was also expelled. Leto can no longer live at the academy. The story ends with Leto not committing murder.

In conclusion, I'm not dying either!

"......Yes, I can live."

"What?"

"Everyone can live!"

There was a bright side. When I quickly drew a smile after I stopped crying, Leto glanced at me with his eyes full of confusion.

"......I don't know what it is, but if you don't mind, then yeah. That's good."

"Leah, thank you!"

Leto's body hardened when I gave him a big hug. After a moment, Leto put his hands that were in the air on my back and locked my body in his arms.

"That's enough."

"But......It's all good and all, but how do we tell our parents? I mean, we were expelled."

"My father will definitely lift up the whip. For sure."

"May name might be excluded from the family tree."

"Those are good things. I could die."

Leto's words didn't sound like a joke at all.

"I'm going to be sold. To another family."

Again, there was no future in sight.

"I've been gone for a while! What are you guys talking about?"

"Could it be that the mood died down because I wasn't here? As expected, I should've been here."

Was she the same person who cried earlier?

"......."

Huh? I was just nervous.

"You told me earlier. It's okay to be a little late. What matters is that you reach your goal."

"Y, Yeah. I did!"

In truth, it was sugar coating.

"Thanks to you, I feel less pressured!"

"Thank you, Bree!"

"Then, let's go back now. The sun will set soon."

"We'll be having the last moments of our academy life, won't we?"