Chapter 20

"Th, Then it would be scary, Leto. It's scary to be alone."

I lost strength in my body. Not long after, my body collapsed and hit the cold floor. During the state I was still a little conscious, I looked at Leto, who was left alone. Emotions began to appear in his eyes, and he frowned in pain. He looked at me in disbelief as though he couldn't believe what he had done, but eventually moved his finger and pointed at himself.

Leto?

He couldn't stand the pain and tried to harm himself. In the end, I recalled the entire ending of <How To Recognise A Murderer> as I witnessed Leto, who was about to kill himself. He was the last to die. No one survived, and Leto, who was eventually branded as a murderer, was deeply embedded in people's memories.

"N, No!"

The moment I screamed, my eyes opened. At first, I thought the red sunset was blood and so I couldn't breathe properly. I struggled, waving my hand like a person who sank into the depths of the sea.

In contrast to what I saw in my dream, those eyes were looking directly at me. It was full of life, full of emotion. It was truly Leto. Feeling relieved, I immediately hugged Leto's waist, regardless of whoever was watching.

"Leah! Leah!"

I shouted his name countless times. Leto was unable to do anything at my strange behaviour and in the end, patted my back. His touch was warm. Before I knew it, the students gathered around and comforted me. The familiar clamour, which I normally never paid attention to, now felt like a reassuring and relaxing lullaby

Just now, Leto had witnessed with his own eyes that I had wandered between life and death while calling out his name. He must have had a lot to say, but he held my hand tightly and stayed silent. I couldn't remember when I held his hand. Was it right after I woke up from the dream, or was it when he came to the bench?

It didn't matter. At this moment, I didn't want to let go of Leto's hand for even a second. When I gripped Leto's hand even stronger, Leto also tightened his grip on mine. I wondered if things had calmed down a little. I was worried about Leto.

I was still in pain and wandered between life and death after taking only one pill, but what about Leto, who had a rough past? There were many people who suffered, but perhaps I was the only one who cried out. When I glanced at Leto, he carefully raised his hand and wiped away the tears from my eyes.

"Finished crying?"

He asked with a gentle smile. Oh, now I'm about to cry again. Whenever Leto smiled, I recalled the look in Leto's eyes that I had seen in the dream.

"Leah, we're friends, right?"

"......What?"

"We, we're friends, aren't we? Best friends."

"Yes. Friends."

He paused, then stroked my cheek and answered. His firm answer calmed my heart down, and I burst into laughter without realising. Leto looked at my smile and lightly pinched my cheek.

"Were you okay?"

"It was nothing."

Leto shrugged his shoulders, as though it was no big deal.

"No!"

I jumped and squished Leto's cheeks. It was a reverse state. Leto blinked with eyes wide open at my action before sighing. It must have been hard and painful, so why did you shrug it off just like that? There was nothing more painful than hiding and burying everything in your heart, only for it to explode all at once.

"No, tell me if you're having a hard time!"

At my bold words, Leto stared at me blankly before bursting into laughter. Was he trying to skip the subject like that? I squeezed his cheeks even tighter, but Leto's laugh did not stop.

"Wh, Why are you laughing?"

"Worry about yourself."

Speechless by Leto's words, I let go of his cheek.