Chapter 19 See Through

Underneath the outer city gate, Ethan stood confidently with his twin blades facing the remaining 9 Sprinters. The swift slaughter from moments ago had finally revealed Ethan's true abilities to the guards watching from the wall.

As the Sprinters lunged at him from all sides, Ethan met them head-on with lightning-fast reflexes. Dodging their attacks, he effortlessly wielded his sharp blades, swiftly beheading each one. With a seamless flow of motion, he then leaped onto the back of the last Sprinter, slamming it to the ground and swiftly decapitating it. Holding up the severed head mockingly, he remarked,

"It's so ugly"

In less than 15 seconds, Ethan had effortlessly dispatched all 9 Sprinters, leaving everyone present in awe and too fearful to oppose him.

His extraordinary abilities stemmed from his lightning-fast natural reflexes combined with the skills honed during his military training, making him almost superhuman.

In contrast, during his encounter with Alan on the rope bridge, Ethan hadn't even used a fraction of his strength. Alan should count himself lucky that Ethan hadn't considered him a threat at the time.

"It's so enjoyable, but it's a pity that there are only a few of them...."

With that remark, Ethan casually walked away.

And so, the crisis of the zombies breaching the inner city gate was averted, and the rain had stopped...

Meanwhile, David, Bert, and Alan, awaiting further instructions, received a message from Hannah over the intercom:

"The zombies at the main gate have been cleared. Proceed to the next phase."

It was time for Alan to step up.

Zooming into the maze area on his powered skateboard, Alan shouted,

"Hey! Come after me!"

Hearing Alan's voice, the Sprinters immediately bared their teeth and madly pursued him. Alan led them straight towards a certain location on the west side of the inner city wall.

That location housed a concealed door leading into the inner city—a door known to very few. Alan's mission was to lure the zombies into the inner city, marking the second phase of the operation—using the zombies as bait.

The plan is obvious. Since Ethan likes to kill zombies himself, let him kill enough and then catch him when he is tired..

But how to ensure Ethan would come alone? That's where Claire and Heather came in.

As Claire sneaked into the security headquarters' control room, she spotted Alan leading the zombies into the inner city on the monitors. It was time to showcase her skills.

"my show time!"

Claire, a computer whiz in the Anti-Ethan Alliance, effortlessly manipulated the keyboard, taking control of the street barriers and closing off the intersections near the zombies. She then opened a path leading to the 14th Street overpass, helping Alan smoothly guide the Sprinters there.

On the other side, as a large group of guards returned from the inner city gate, a peculiar sight awaited them. A group of individuals dressed as construction workers had appeared mysteriously on the right fork of the road, erecting barricades and a "Road Work" sign, blocking the path as if genuinely conducting construction. A curly-haired African-American woman leading the group jumped out and yelled at the guards:

"Hey, hey, hey! You young folks can't read? Pipeline burst, road work! Can't you see the signs? This road's closed, go down the left path!"

With an intimidating demeanor, the woman glared at everyone, her eyes seemingly shooting flames, blocking any attempts by the guards to pass.