chapter 14

Adriano

"Fuck!" I curse as I put down my PS5 and I turn off my computer. I can't believe I lost again . I've been stressed out after my conversation with Romeo.

The door suddenly opens and my mom comes in view. Gosh.

"Mom , you really need to start knocking."

She just rolls her eyes.

"It's time for breakfast, why are you still not ready ? "

"I'm not in the mood."

My mom looks at me worriedly before coming to sit next to me.

"What's up? You do know you can tell me anything right ?"

I look at her and she gives me a reassuring look.

"Ok, when did you realise that you loved dad?"

She looks at me shocked but she quickly smiles.

"Do you think you love someone?"

"Mom , just answer the question, please ,"

"To be honest, I didn't really think much about it back in the day , but now that you've mentioned it , I don't think I know . You should probably ask your dad , I mean men and women have different ways of loving someone, don't they?"

I look ahead and I see her point.

She stands up and pats on my shoulder.

"Ok get ready now , we're going out together."

She leaves and I sigh before taking my toiletries and going to the bathroom.

....

Amara

I walk around the hall looking for Joshua. Where is he , everyone is looking for him. And now I have to cover for him

"Amara, do you know where on earth Joshua is?"

I look at my father and I start to panic but I know I have to not make it obvious.

"Oh, he said he's going to talk to someone about his surprise gift for Brenda."

My dad raises his eyebrows but he nods slowly with a smile. At least he's happy right?

"Ok but he must make it quick, the guests want to congratulate him and Brenda together."

I nod and my father walks away . Shit , now I just added more to Joshua's problems.

I walk upstairs and I look for him in his room.

"Joshua! Josh-". I see him standing on the balcony and looking at the stars.

"Hi there sister." He says, but he's still looking at the sky . He sounds so...sad.

"Everyone's looking for you ."

He turns to look at me and turns back to staring at the sky.

"Why, the engagement is over , what more do they want?"

He says and turns to leave and I walk with him.

"Uh , I have to tell you something . I might've told dad that you're planning a surprise for Brenda ."

I say looking away from him and he stops in his tracks.

"What!" He shouts and I signal him to keep it down.

"I'm sorry ok. I just didn't know what to say and I freaked out. "

"Fuck , well what did you say the surprise was."

"I didn't tell him anything, because I thought maybe you can think about it?"

"Something like what ?"

We stand there thinking and I suddenly get an idea , an idea that any woman would love.

"I got something." I say and he looks at me while I'm smiling impressed.

...

Adriano

I look at my dad who's playing with Gavi. I don't know if I should go to him. But maybe I should if I don't want to spend the whole weekend not sleeping.

"Dad , hi."

"Hey , can you please hold him for a minute. I have to go check his milk."

I nod and I take Gavi from him. He usually drinks breastmilk , but my mom went to the mall with Eduardo and Nia. I look if Cámille is around but she's watching TV. At least I can talk to dad in private. He comes back and I offer to feed him.

"You're doing well." He says looking at me feeding Gavi.

"Uh , can I ask you something ?"

"Sure."

"When did you realise that you loved mom?"

My dad smiles looking at me with an amused look.

"I thought you'd never ask."

"Why?"

"Well, probably because you never keep one girl in your life . Is it Mishti?"

"Mishti? Why would it be Mishti?"

"She's the only girl you've ever brought to this house. And I also know you guys are...active."

I chuckle and I feel a bit better .

"But for your question, I think I started knowing when I always thought about her . Every detail about her made me smile , even the fact the that she was lazy . I didn't mind her shortcomings and imperfections. It felt as if she had a spell on me or something. The thought of her with someone made me boil to be honest, I think that's how I knew I loved her. She wasn't mine , but I didn't want her to be with anyone . I could go on, but I'm not because this isn't about me , it's about you. "

I look at my dad and I know he's expecting me to tell him who I love apparently.

"I can't tell you , or else you would kill me ?"

"Why would I . I know you can't control love , who knows maybe you might love a girl who stays in the streets or someone over 40 , but that one I won't accept."

I laugh , but it's only for a second.

"I don't think I'm supposed to love her. I shouldn't, but I can't stop thinking about her . Even now she's in another city , and I feel a bit scared that she might find someone."

"Does she love you?"

"I don't know ."

"When she comes back, immediately tell her or else it will be late by the time you're ready and you're going to regret it. "

I realise that Gavi is now asleep and I smile a bit at his cute little body.

"I'll take him." My dad says taking Gavi from me and he goes to lay him down. I stand up and go to my room . Amara is coming back tomorrow and I have to tell her , even if it might cost me to lose her.