chapter 13

Amara

I flip the pages of the Vogue magazine and I hear a knock on the door.

"Hello dear."

I sit up straight when I realise it's my father.

"Father , hi . "

He comes to sit next to me on my bed .

"How have you been?"

"I've been great , but I'll work it through. Oh and I've been getting many ideas on the designs and -"

"No no , this is the time for us to spend time as a family. No work talks."

My dad smiles and I nod.

"Uhm, I have something to talk to you about."

"What is it father.?"

"I have been in contact with Roy and he has been complaining about your behaviour."

I feel my shoulders tense up but I try to act normal.

"So now you don't want me to focus on my work for Roy?"

"Not if you're free or you forget your dates with him. Roy told me a few days ago that he's going to take you out , he wanted to make you feel relaxed over dinner . You agreed apparently, but you never showed up , why is that?"

Shit I completely forgot about the dates I was supposed to go with Roy , fuck. All the time I was busy fucking with Adriano.

"I'm sorry father , it just happened and I was always tired after work. I also had to help Joshua with a lot of stuff."

I smile at my lie , because I know at least he would understand when it's Joshua.

He nods and I start to relax.

"Amara , I think you're forgetting yourself here. You're forgetting that you're going to belong to Roy one way or another. "

"I know father , but can we just focus on Joshua for the weekend. Please."

He nods and hugs me before leaving.

I go back to reading my magazine and the door opens and Joshua walks in . He looks drained, I get it though.

"You don't look good for someone who's getting engaged to a beautiful woman."

I tease him and smile, but he rolls his eyes and falls on the bed as if he's been running all day and he's finally resting.

"Seriously, are you ok?" I ask him worriedly and he shakes his head and I give him a sad smile.

"How can you be when you're literally getting married to the definition of danger."

"I can't believe dad would take you to that world , I mean obviously he doesn't know , but..."

"How am I going to survive? You should see the way Brando looks at me when I speak to any woman besides his sister."

I rub his shoulder and he sighs.

"I'm not going to lie to you and say everything is going to be alright, because it won't. But you should at least not make it obvious if you want to survive these people. Especially Brenda's sister , whatever her name is. Both her siblings are overprotective to her . You just make sure you don't do any funny... Stuff. I know you won't because you're a good man though."

"I just want to go away from here."

He says and I can hear his voice breaking a bit . I feel very bad for him because no one wants to ever be a part of that world. A world where you're constantly watched by hawks and just one mistake, you're six feet under.

"I wish I could tell dad about you and your little boyfriend."

I look at him , but he's smiling even though it's sad.

"But you wouldn't do that because I never told him about you and Jessica. Who by the way turns out to be our loveliest cousin . I hate her I don't know what you saw in her, but that's not my place."

He laughs and we talk for a while . Us opening up to each other and he finally sleeps. I rub his head before walking to the table to check my phone. I see two missed calls from Adriano and I smile as I eagerly dial his number.

"Hey baby."

I blush when I realise that I woke him up and I look around to see if Joshua is awake . I decide to go the bathroom just to be safe.

"Hey , how are you doing?"

"Good , I was just taking a nap. How is you Milady."

He says jokingly and I chuckle and look at my blushy face in the mirror .

"I'm ok , but I kinda miss you." I say crossing my fingers. I don't know why I'm so nervous.

"Kinda ? I don't know how to feel about that." He says chuckling and I blush even more , god his voice.

"You'll get over it."

I say and I hear him gasp , and I laugh at his dramatic reaction and he joins me .

"I miss you too, if you want."

My smile drops and I can hear him trying not to laugh.

"Amara ." I hear someone calling me and I realise it's Roy.

"Uh , who's that ?" Adriano asks me with a serious voice and before I can answer the bathroom door opens.

"Amara , I've been looking for you . It's dinner time soon and I can see the main character is asleep, but please you two must not be late ."

"Yeah , I'll be there. Just talking to Adriano about some papers."

I say and I see Roy's mood changing a bit , but he smiles again. He nods before leaving and I hear him trying to wake Joshua up.

"Is that Roy , the office guy?"

Adriano asks and I feel confused , but I remember the other day in my office.

"Yeah , but he's only here because of my father ."

There's silence on the phone and I hear Adriano sigh .

"Ok, but can you you just stay away from him?"

"Of course , you don't need to worry about him . I'm gonna have to go , talk later bye."

"Bye , and I ... I ."

I wait for him to say what he wants to say but he just keeps say I's.

"Yes?"

"Nothing , goodbye."

Before I can say anything he hangs up and I look at my phone before walking back to my room . Thank goodness I showered immediately when I got here.