40

TW: blood, horribly written fight scene, murder, death, EmOtiOnal dAmage

Read at your own risk

No.

It couldn't be him. Not now. Not again.

Casey hadn't known what Shadowman was like before he met him. Casey didn't know how ruthless and quick he really was as he tore down his enemies without mercy. He didn't know how much Kai was like Shredder. The turtles tried to refrain from telling Casey what Kai was like due to how much the human had loved him.

Casey held his breath as he watched Shadowman haul the gleaming scythe onto his shoulder as he rushed after the human. The deed was done faster than Casey could blink, with Shadowman bringing the scythe down on the flesh of the hostage, painfully shopping him in half. The man screamed in agony as the sharp blade of the scythe penetrated his side.

The heroes, still perched on the metal walkway above, froze in utter shock and terror. Casey stuffed a fist in his mouth to keep himself from screaming. They hadn't even seen Shadowman move. Of all the ways that they had seen Shredder and the Foot take out their enemies, it had never been this graphic. The other Foot soldiers stood in silence, not a sound coming out of them as they watched the horror unfold.

Blood splurted out everywhere, painting Kai's face, mask, and clothes a bright scarlet red. The human's legs kept moving a second longer before falling to the ground a few feet away from the top half of his body. But Kai only stood over his body, leaning on his weapon as if he was almost... proud of what he did. The man's gurgles and moans of anguish were the only sound in the building, it seemed like the whole world went silent and the hostage never got the message. Shredder walked to the man as his last seconds of life were passing away.

"Nobody turns their back to me," Shredder growled.

The man weakly nodded, unable to do much else as he had only a few seconds left. They all watched as the man's eyes went blank, the life draining out of him along with the blood that had formed a large pool around him.

***

The night couldn't have gotten much better. Kai was back to being his father's lackey, taking out his enemies for him with quick and somewhat theatrical precision. Although he felt as if something was watching him the whole time he was there.

He tried to ignore the warm, sticky blood that covered his entire being. He looked up to his father as the man breathed his last, but Shredder already turned away, speaking with Tigerclaw and the Foot. Kai felt his shoulders drop, but quickly raised them again. He pushed away the feeling that his father didn't see his work.

Blood dripped in intervals from his scythe, landing on the floor with a subtle splash.

He looked at the body of the man. His family would never know what happened to him; they would never know where he went. Kai nudged the man's head, half expecting him to come alive again and attack him. He still couldn't shake the feeling of someone's eyes boring into his head.

Kai looked back to his family, but neither were looking at him. Could it be...? Kai looked up to the rafters of the building, seeing a familiar group of people gazing back at him with wide eyes.

Kai reached into one of the pockets on his belt and pulled out a few ninja stars. He clutched the small weapons in his bare hands, throwing them all up quickly to his enemies.

The turtles and the two humans rushed out of the way, the shock of the events before rapidly leaving their systems in the threat of death. The ninja stars stuck in the metal ceiling behind them. They jumped down from the rafter walkway to the cement floor, almost slipping in the pool of blood that was quickly seeping everywhere.

"Stop!" the blue leader shouted. His voice was brave, but his eyes portrayed a different message.

"The turtles," Tigerclaw seethed. "Come to finally meet your doom?"

Leonardo ignored the big cat and turned to face Shadowman. His eyes were pleading and full of terror and sadness. "Shad-- Kai," he said. "Come on. Why are you still with these people? They don't care about you. This isn't you."

Kai rolled his eyes. The nerve of this turtle to tell him what to do with his life. He didn't have the luxury to choose. He was born this way and he would die this way. There was nothing else to it.

He was a Foot soldier.

***

The battle raged all around them. The Foot soldiers were fighting April, Donnie, and Mikey. Raph was fighting Tigerclaw. Leonardo was going up against Shredder. They fought as if they had done this before-- each blow matched and parried perfectly.

But Casey had his eyes set on Kai. Kai was covered in an innocent man's blood and... still so hot. Kai and Casey walked around each other in a circle, ready for the next blow. Casey brought out his hockey sticks, keeping his exploding pucks safely hidden away in his pocket for his surprise attack.

Casey had the advantage of having the lighter weapon of the two, but it was blunt and dull, unlike Kai's extremely sharp scythe. Kai's eyes narrowed above his mask. Casey didn't think that Kai was brainwashed enough to try and chop him in half, but to be on the safe side, Casey needed to disarm him.

"Kai, come on, man," he said. "What are ya doing?"

"I told you, Jones," the shorter boy answered. His voice was slightly muffled because of the molded metal mask covering the lower part of his face. "I told you that you would never have to see Kai again. Shadowman is the only one left."

Casey felt his heart break but kept his eyes trained on his friend. "I- I thought we had something," he said.

"We did," Kai said. "And I enjoyed every minute with you too much. I can't love you and be a Foot soldier, Casey. I needed to choose one. I made a choice that would keep me alive. I've always been a Foot soldier and I won't let a teenage boy change that."

"Is tha' all I am?" Casey asked angrily. "Jus' some kid ya met?"

"if that's what it takes to leave you," Kai answered.

Casey was angry. He thought Kai had loved him. And by the sounds of it, he still did. Casey needed his friend back. He needed Kai.

Casey made the first move, rushing at Kai. This must have caught Shadowman off guard because Casey was able to land a good hit in with his wooden weapon. Kai went toppling backward, stumbling to regain his balance. Kai growled, holding his weapon out and getting ready for another hit. He was on the defensive, an odd position for him to be in.

He caught the hockey stick with the handle of his scythe, throwing it to the side and leaving Casey defenseless. Casey stumbled to the side with the force of the pull but quickly pulled out one of his other hockey sticks. He quickly got back into action, trying to hit Kai, but another part of his mind didn't want to do this, didn't want to be here.

"Kai, please. I don' wan' to hurt ya," Casey said as he clashed weapons with Kai.

"Then join us," Kai responded. "Join the Foot."

"No!" Casey exclaimed. "Let this alter ego thing go, Kai! Come back home!"

"This is my home!" Kai said. He slashed across Casey with his scythe. Casey moved out of the way just in time that instead of being chopped in half, his arm only had a slight cut. "You wouldn't understand!"

"Then help me!" Casey pleaded. He repeated the same words Leo had said all those months ago as he swiped at Kai. "Let me help you. Tell me what to do!"

Kai's weapon flew out of his hands and skirted across the ground, the scraping metal echoing in the room. The fights paused for a moment as Tigerclaw quickly looked over to see if his cub was okay, but resumed just as fast.

Kai fell to the ground on his back, his eyes screwed tight with pain as his back slapped against the concrete. Casey's eyes were wide with surprise. Kai struggled to get up in a way that did not cause him to lose his edge of defense. He looked up at Casey, and although the taller boy couldn't see his mouth and nose, Kai's eyes told him everything that he needed to know. But Kai would never tell him. 

Kai would never tell Casey that he was in trouble.