10

He crouched on the edge of the roof, one foot braced against the lip, George Washington style. He waited for the perfect moment to strike. He closed his hand into a fist and watched as the Foot soldiers fly down upon his enemies like arrows. Kai watched as the turtles fought on the defensive, surprised at the ambush. Kai waited for a bit, smiling under his mask as he watched them fight.

But he couldn't let the Foot have all the fun.

Kai jumped down and landed gracefully on the top of a swing set, balancing on the bar. The turtles spared a glance at him, but went back to the onslaught of the Foot.

"He's back, dudes!" Michelangelo alerted the others.

"Great!" Raphael shouted. "Just what we needed."

"That's not very nice, Raphael," Kai said. He swiftly changed positions so that he was hanging by his legs upside down on the bar. His hair hanging in his loose ponytail. "I came a long way to see you guys again. I expected more of a welcome. After all, we had so much fun last time."

"You threw knives at my head!" Donatello shouted. He blocked an attack from a Foot with his bo staff. "I don't consider that very fun."

"At least he's talking again," Michelangelo said. "I didn't think he would ever talk after that night."

Kai teasingly took a kunai out of its sheath on his belt and flipped it between his fingers. He admitted to himself that yes, his overall attitude had changed towards the turtles. With his free hand, Kai signaled for the Foot to back off of the mutants and form a loose circle around them. Still spinning the blade between his fingers, Kai flipped down to the hard cement and stalked towards the mutants.

"I have a proposition for you," he said. "I want you to come with me peacefully and I won't kill you."

"I'd like to see you try!" Raphael shouted. With a yell, Raphael ran at Kai, his sais raised in an offensive position. The turtle swung his weapons down at Kai, who dodged just in time, pulling the same move as the previous night in the cathedral.

Kai stuck out his foot and tripped the angry mutant, internally grimacing. That was one of the easiest tricks in the book and this turtle, taught by one of the greatest ninjutsu masters, fell for it.

(Ha! See what I did there?)

This only made the turtle angrier. He got up from his spot on the ground and turned, fuming. He bared his teeth and growled. Kai wondered if he was only a just a turtle mutant. He pounced once more. Kai went flying, landing at the feet of one of the Foot soldiers.

At this, the Foot were sent into an offensive position, each with their weapons drawn. Kai threw up his open hand from his spot on the ground. The Foot noticed this signal as a 'hold position'. The ninjas did not put their weapons away, but instead remained passive.

The mutants watched as Kai got up from the concrete sidewalk, chalk now covering his black jeans. Kai pulled his scythe out of its sheath on his back, the two blades glimmering in the moonlight.

"Just give up already!" Michelangelo groaned. "I want to get back home for pizza!"

"Who are you?" Leonardo asked, ignoring his little brother. "If we know your name it will be easier to help you."

"Are you still going on about that lie, Leonardo?" Kai snarled. "I told you before. I don't want your help."

"But you might need it," Leonardo said.

Kai swung his double edged scythe at the turtle, who ducked as it passed over his shell. His blue mask tails rippled in the light wind. His steeled courage and genuine want to help made Kai feel like maybe there was another option than fighting the mutants.

Leonardo's twin katanas flashed in the moonlight, causing a gash to appear on Kai's upper arm. Kai was angry. He was confused. He swung his scythe once again. Leonardo flipped back to his brothers, causing them to move out of his way.

Kai signaled for the Foot to attack the other three turtles. Leonardo was his to defeat.

The two spun in a circle, each weapon glancing off of each other with a resounding clash. They bantered back and forth, trying to catch the other off guard.

"So tell me, what is it like being the son of Shredder?" Leonardo asked smuggly. "I bet it's terrible."

"On the contrary," Kai lied, sounding equally as smug. "I get to bust turtle ass every night. It is quite satisfying."

"Satisfying like how you were beaten last night?" Leonardo asked.

"Says the turtle who called for a retreat," Kai snapped.

"Touchy subject?" the mutant questioned.

Kai did not answer. He charged the mutant, brandishing his blade and intending to strike him down. Leonardo held up his katanas and locked them in with the scythe. Both grunted at the effort to disarm their opponent. Leonardo seemed stronger than Kai, pushing his blades down against the shaft of the scythe, pushing Kai to a knee.

Kai bared his teeth. This turtle was a good fighter, but could he stand against Kai's own mutation? He couldn't before when they had first met. But now that the turtle knew something was different about the son of Shredder, Kai wondered if it would work again in his favor.

"Come with me," Kai said. He channeled his power through to his silver tongue. "Surrender to the Shredder."

Kai watched the inner conflict going on in Leonardo's mind. The part of him that was conscious of Kai's power fought against the part that wanted to blindly follow him. He shut his eyes tight, dropping his swords and falling to his knees. The turtle clamped his hands on the sides of his head. This wasn't the reaction Kai was expecting. He had hoped Leonardo would easily agree to succumb to Shredder, making his job a whole lot easier.

But this could work too.