25

TW: hospital (not detailed)

Casey was worried when Kai didn't show up the next day at school. He was worried when Kai didn't show up the day after that. He was worried when Kai didn't show up for a week after that day. He didn't get any text messages, no phone calls, nothing. What happened to his friend?

It was currently math class and Casey was staring down the teacher with a glare so powerful that he wasn't sure how she was still standing.

"Turn your pages to 895 and get to work on all the even numbered problems," the teacher said, glaring at the class and sticking her nose up and the students in the front row. "I know you all look in the back of the book for the odd numbered problems, so I am giving you the even numbers to show me how stupid all of you actually are."

Casey rolled his eyes. If Kai was here, it would be a more enjoyable class; Casey normally cheated off of Kai's answers because he was way smarter than him. He looked over to the seat by the window where Kai would normally sit. He missed him.

Where did his friend go?

"Would Casey Jones head to the front office? Would Casey Jones head to the front office? Thank you." The intercom clicked off and everyone turned to the back corner of the classroom where Casey sat.

"Well, Mr. Jones?" the teacher asked. "What are you waiting for? An escort?"

Casey quickly stuffed his books and loose pencils into his backpack and practically ran for the door. He felt everyone's eyes burn into the back of his head, wondering if Casey was in trouble and, if so, just how much. To be honest, Casey was wondering that himself as well.

The long hallways seemed to stretch forever as he wandered to the principal's office. He wanted to keep the punishment at bay for as long as possible, not wanting to know what he had done to be called to the office. He thought back to the past week and searched for anything that he might have done wrong. The dark brown door awaited him at the left end of the hallway, the principal's name traced in gold taunting Casey as he approached. His pale, slender fingers wrapped around the golden handle and, with a deep breath, opened the door to the office.

A girl was standing at the center of the office, talking with Mr. LeStrange. The principal was always ridiculed for his last name, so everybody just called him Mr. L. The girl wore a large jacket with layered shirts underneath. Her baggy pants pooled against the ornate red carpet that decorated the linoleum floor. Her hair was short, dark with a blonde undercut and long strands of hair framing her face. Her hands were on her hips and she seemed to be very agitated by the way she paced around the oddly decorated room.

The wooden door opened quickly and banged against the wall behind it, announcing Casey's presence. The two turned to face Casey.

"Sorry," Casey apologized meekly.

Mr. LeStrange groaned in annoyance at the sudden intrusion. The girl's dark eyes widened and, for a moment, Casey thought that he recognized the eyes. She studied Casey then turned back to Mr. L.

"Is this him?" she asked.

"Yes," Mr. L responded. He nodded to prove his point.

"I will be taking him out of school for the rest of the day," the girl said. "Is there any paperwork I need to fill out?"

"Wait, wait, wait," Casey said. "What do you mean, you're taking me? Who are you?"

The girl laughed with a fake smile that didn't reach her eyes. "Casey, you must have hit your head pretty hard with that hockey puck." She looked at the principal. "He always gets hurt on the ice."