08

Kai collapsed on a chair, shoulders aching from scraping the three-year old gum off of the bottom of chairs and tables. He sighed and looked at the clock above his head on the wall. They had been going at it for about two hours and it was time for him to get going so Shredder didn't punish him too terribly.

He stood up and immediately felt dizzy. He ignored the feeling and grabbed his backpack. He noticed Casey lying on the ground like he was making a snow-angel. Kai looked at him strangely.

"See ya later, man," Casey said, sticking up a peace sign. "Imma just stay here for a little while. I have tutoring in a few minutes anyway."

Interesting. The facts seemed to stack more in the favor of this kid being with the turtle ninjas with every sentence. Kai decided that it was best to get closer to the boy to learn more about his enemies.

"See you," Kai said. He opened the door and dizzily stepped into the hallway.

He needed to get to the cathedral to get his gear to follow his father's instructions. He basically ran all the way to his home and went to his room. He threw his backpack next to his desk and, since it was getting dark out, grabbed his mask and put his hair up in a bun so that he could actually see. He reached into the corner next to his bed and pulled out a double bladed scythe.

There was a knock.

Kai spun quickly, too quickly, and clapped his free hand to his head. A furry hand grabbed his shoulder to steady him.

"How much blood have you lost?"TigerClaw asked.

"I don't know," Kai mumbled. He started to take off his shirt, but yelped at the skin pulling on the stitches in his back. There were patches of dried blood that soaked through his bandages that weren't there that morning. TigerClaw's eye squinted and he let out a low growl in his chest that could barely be heard.

"You will not be going on patrol for those bothersome turtles," TigerClaw said.

"But the Shredder–" Kai protested.

"The Shredder will have to sit on his throne for another day without the turtles, that priss. You are in no shape to fight," the mutant said. "I will deal with the Shredder. Now, rest and do your homework."

"You have no idea how opposite both of those are," Kai said. "You can't put 'rest' and 'homework' in the same sentence."

TigerClaw looked at him, unamused. He turned and left the room. Kai rolled his eyes, but listened to the mutant. He sat down at his desk and opened his backpack, noticing the paper bag that held the brownies on top. He remembered Mrs. Thomas told him that she added something extra this time and greedily opened the bag.

Inside was a plastic bag of brownies and a worn red book, the gold lettering flaking. He pulled the book out and smiled when he recognized it as Dracula. He set the book down and opened to the first page. Only reading the first few pages, Kai knew that this book was going to be addicting, so he set it down and got started on his homework.

It was late by the time Kai had finished his homework. Apparently TigerClaw stuck to his vow and kept Shredder off his back, because no one came into his room and demanded that he go out on patrol. A Foot soldier brought him dinner, which consisted of cold potatoes and vegetables.

It was almost midnight and Kai sat on his bed, reading his book about vampires.

...We left in pretty good time, and came after nightfall to Klausenburgh. Here I stopped for the night at the Hotel Royale. I had for dinner, or rather supper, a chicken done up some way with red pepper, which was very good but thirsty. (Mem., get recipe for Mina.) I asked the waiter, and he said it was called "paprika hendl," and that, as it was a national dish, I should be able to get it anywhere along the Carpathians. I found my smattering of German very useful here; indeed, I don't know how I should be able to get on without it...

He heard a faint crash and had a suspicion that something bad was going to happen. He had a sudden urge to grab his scythe.

Pulling on his mask, he hefted his weapon on his shoulder and walked out into the hallway. The noises of a fight were going on in the throne room. He slowly opened the door to see Shredder and some of the Foot fighting four green blurs.

The turtles.

Eyes narrowing, Kai ran into battle, attacking any of the turtles that came his way. The purple turtle's eyes widened with recognition when he ran at Kai. The turtle, Donatello, swung his bo staff, easily being chopped in half by Kai's scythe.

"Hey!" he shouted.

Kai raised his weapon, but felt something wrap around it. Kai looked behind him and saw the small orange one smiling. Kai felt himself yanked through the air, back crashing into a large window with a concerning crack. He slid to the ground, scythe thrown away from his limp body. TigerClaw was right, he wasn't ready for a fight after losing so much blood.

He struggled to his feet, vision blurry as he watched the battle rage around him. He grabbed his weapon and steeled his nerves. He ran back into the fray, the red turtle also running at him, sais drawn. The red one swung his sais, Kai sidestepped and watched as the mutant careened into a glass wall. He turned around with a look of pure anger and ran at Kai again.

The two fought, no one truly winning until the blue turtle told the others to fall back, leading to a puff of smoke filling the throne room. Kai coughed, his lungs aching. When the smoke cleared, he saw the Shredder glaring at him, eyes barely visible through his kubuto. Kai shuddered under his gaze, but said nothing. He bowed and walked back to his bedroom.

He made out of the battle pretty much unscathed, a few cuts along his arms where his gray t-shirt didn't cover. He went to the adjoining bathroom and cleaned the wounds, bandaging them to prevent any infections.

At least he'll have sick scars.