23

Tw: gore, blood, violent fight scenes

(also, sorry I'm so bad at writing fight scenes. they aren't really the easiest to write and I'm trying my best.)

A few months had passed since that night, passing like a plastic bag in the wind that was escaping the outreached hands of the owner as they chased the bag down the street while trying to look normal. Casey and Kai started hanging out frequently after school, sometimes going to Murikami's for pizza-gyozas. Their relationship grew to the point where they were never without each other. Casey practically adopted Kai as his very own depressed introvert.

But one night, it was all about to change.

But we won't talk about it quite yet. We are going back a few hours, during the school day, when Casey and Kai were talking in their literature class. They weren't talking about anything in particular, just whatever came to mind. The bell rang, signaling the end of the class period. Kai flinched as he shifted his backpack on his shoulders, hissing at the weight on his back. He looked around, hoping nobody would realize. But Casey did. Casey noticed a lot of things.

Casey noticed he was acting weird for the past few weeks....

***

Casey was laying on his bed, staring up at the ceiling as he tossed one of his hockey pucks into the air and then caught it again. Lights from taxis flashed across the dark back wall of his bedroom as late-night passengers headed to and from parties and other places. Casey wondered what time his father was going to be home this time. He had already put Marie down for the night, now he was just waiting for the comforting lull of sleep to pull him as well.

As if Fate herself had played her hand, Casey's phone sprang to life. He reached over and saw the embarrassing profile picture that he used for April appear on the screen. He smiled to himself. He remembered the day the picture was taken. April was training to be a kunoichi, and had just face planted on the mats in the dojo.

"Hey, red," Casey said.

"Casey!" April shouted into the phone. "We need your help!"

Casey rolled his eyes. After all these months, they still couldn't take a hint. "Red, why would I help the turtles?"

"Ugh! Casey, now is not the time to be petty!"

"I think now is the perfect time ta be petty," Casey said.

"Fine!" April yelled. "You don't have to be helping the turtles! You can help me!"

Casey hesitated. "Where are ya?"

"Aspen and Oakes," April responded. "See you in five."

"I neva said I was–" Casey argued. But it was too late. April had already hung up. Casey groaned, but he couldn't help but want to crush some Foot scum. He grabbed his stuff, looking out the window to make sure that his father wasn't coming, and climbed up the fire escape to the roof.

He headed to the two streets, but, based on the sounds of swords and metal clashing against each other, he didn't even need the names. He jumped down and ran the rest of the way. It wouldn't seem very cool if he had to climb down a fire escape before entering a fight.

He turned the corner to see the turtles and a few Foot bots in combat. There were husks of broken robots scattered across the ground, red eyes glitching in and out. Casey noticed a bot coming up behind an unassuming Raphael. He charged the bot with a scream, electrocuting it with his taser hidden in his glove.

"Took you long enough!" the red turtle snapped.

"Be grateful I actually came," Casey responded with the same tone. "After tha' accusation ya guys pulled, ya lucky I'm still ya friend."