16

Casey was excited. It was almost ten o'clock, almost time for his... not a date, exactly, with Kai. He walked to their designated meeting place-- the picnic bench where they ate Murikami's-- and waited. He checked his watch frequently, not realizing how nervous he really was for this to happen. He heard a rustle behind him, coming from the other side of the playground. Casey spun around quickly, ready for a possible fight. He was relieved when he saw a familiar head of hair coming around the corner.

"Jumpy, Jones?" Kai asked with a smirk.

"Not a' all," Casey answered. He scratched the back of his neck and smiled awkwardly, realizing he was caught in the act. He walked towards his friend and met him halfway.

"It sure looked like you were," Kai said.

"Anyway," Casey said, trying to get the conversation off of him. "Ya ready?"

Kai's eyes widened. "We're actually doing it?" he asked. "I thought you were just joking."

Casey laughed at his reaction. "How else am I supposed to beat ya ass while on the ice rink?"

Kai smiled, catching onto his taller friend's joyous mood. "You know I'm better than you," he said menacingly, pointing up at him. He tried glaring, but being as short as he was, Casey didn't think it was threatening. If anything, it was extremely cute.

Casey grabbed Kai's wrist and dragged him towards the back side of the building. There were about five identical doors, but Casey headed to the one farthest to the left. He reached towards the handle, but Kai whacked his hand away.

"What are you doing?" he asked. "Don't you know that they can find you through your fingerprints and DNA?"

"You are a very paranoid person," Casey commented. "I use this door t' get in every time fo' practice. Leads to the guy's lockers. It's fine, man."

Kai let go of Casey's wrist, letting him open the door to the locker room. Casey pulled Kai through the door and quickly shut it behind them, the black darkness enveloping their forms.

***

The first thing that Kai noticed is that it was dark.

Yesterday, all of the lights were on and lit up the stadium so much so that it hurt Kai's eyes. Now, he had to squint to see anything. He heard Casey scuttling around in the darkness, probably trying to find a light switch or a door to get out of the locker room. Kai took one step and immediately crashed into something with a loud bang. His initial reaction was to get out of the locker room as soon as possible because it might have been someone figuring out that they were breaking into a closed skating rink. Then the pain settled in and made itself known to Kai. He held his forehead with a hand and cursed.

"You okay?" he heard Casey ask.

"Yeah," Kai responded. "Just ran into a locker."

"Are you sure that you know how to skate?" Casey asked with a chuckle.

"To be completely honest," Kai said. "I never said that I knew how to skate, just that I would beat your ass at it."

Casey was quiet. "So ya don' know how?"

Although Kai knew that Casey couldn't see him, he rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "No...?" he admitted.

"Oh," Casey said. There was a moment of awkward silence. "Ya wan' me to teach ya?"

Kai's eyes widened in the darkness. "Oh. Um, sure. If you still want to, that is."

"Alright!" Casey exclaimed. "Where are you?"