CHAPTER SEVENTY-THREE

CODOMINANCE

"I'm in over my head, I can't catch my breath

"I'm in over my head, I can't catch my breath."
---

Stiles' Point of View

"So, what did he want?" I ask Scott as I finish up some other minor improvements on my Jeep, which I managed to get back from the mechanic after they fixed the windshield.

Scott, having just entered the garage of his house, sighs knowing that I'm aware that Liam had just been inside, apologizing and asking to help us since Hayden is now one of Theo's chimera pack members.

"To help," Scott answers.

"You gonna let him?" I ask.

"Eventually, I guess . . . " Scott replies after a moment.

I stop working on the Jeep to look at him. "Okay, but shouldn't he be a little higher on your priority list right now?" I question, feeling a little bit protective of him in Ainsley's absence. "I mean, since he's the only other actual werewolf? Your only actual beta?"

"You didn't see the way he came at me," Scott tells me, anxiously. "You didn't see the look in his eyes . . . "

"Well, I've been with you on a full moon, so I've seen that look," I mutter. "You want to get the band back together, Scott? You don't leave out the drummer."

Scott sighs. "He said if he couldn't help us here, he'll try and track Ainsley's scent around town," he replies and I nod, knowing that I should be helping. But I also know that Ainsley would tell me to go and find Kira, because we need her just as much. "Lydia's going to keep an eye on him."

My hands falter their movements. Not a second has gone by where I haven't thought about Ainsley and where she could be. I've just been praying and hoping that Theo wasn't so low as to kill her, dump her body in a ditch, and let her rot somewhere. I really hoped he wasn't like that. I don't know how I could move on from that.

"Hey," Scott's voice brings me out of my head and I realize I've been grasping the hood of the Jeep so tight my knuckles are white. "We're gonna find her. She's gonna be fine."

I swallow thickly, not so sure that I believe him. But I decide to at least pretend that I do and move around the side of the Jeep toward the driver's seat and turn the key. The Jeep's engine starts without a hitch and I make my way back to the hood, standing beside Scott.

"Success!" I exclaim quietly, this little victory the exact thing I needed at the moment. "Yes!"

We get into the front seats, and Scott notices the six large bottles of antifreeze in the backseat. I pinch my forefinger and thumb together to showcase how minor the issue is. "It's a minor leak," I say. "Very minor."

I direct the Jeep out of the garage and down the street, into the night as we begin our journey to New Mexico to find Kira.

---