CHAPTER SEVEN

NIGHT SCHOOL

"Be running up that road, be running up that hill

"Be running up that road, be running up that hill."
---

"Lock it!" Scott whispers anxiously, motioning to the door that we're currently bracing with our bare hands. "Lock it!"

Stiles turns to him, brows drawn in exasperation. "Do I look like I have a key?" he hisses.

"Grab something!" Scott exclaims.

"Like what, Scott?!" I snap, lifting myself slightly to look out the glass panes of the doors, eyes peeled for the Alpha.

"Anything!" Scott stresses in return.

My eyes don't see the Alpha outside, but they see the bolt cutter laying on the ground by the foot of the stairs. My mind reels as I realize it could potentially hold the doors in place long enough for us to run as far as we can from any exits or windows. I slowly get to my feet, heart hammering in my chest as I brace my hand on the metal handle of the door.

Both Stiles and Scott knit their brows in confusion as they rise to their feet, obviously seeing what I see. I square my shoulders and move to push the doors open when Scott shakes his head. "No," he warns.

"Uh, yeah, I think so," I retort as I push the door open. It squeaks in protest and I slide my way out of the small space I've created into the cool night air.

"Ainsley, no!" Stiles exclaims. "Don't –"

His protest is cut off my me closing the door behind me. The air stings my throbbing, and likely bruising, knee but I ignore it, glancing around the school yard cautiously. I don't see the Alpha, so I move down the stairs slowly and quietly, reaching down to grab the bolt cutter that's on the ground. As soon as my hand grasps one of the yellow handles, Scott and Stiles start to slam frantically on the door behind me. I look back at them, eyes blazing with fury at the noise their making and how it could attract the Alpha.

"Run!" they chorus together. "Ainsley! Run!"

My blood freezes as I hear what sounds like growling not even ten feet away from me. I turn my head slowly toward the direction of the parking lot, eyes landing on the prowling dark figure, glowing red eyes, and gigantic fangs that belong to the Alpha. I release a small terrified gasp as I get to my feet quickly, taking the concrete stairs two at a time toward the doors, aware of the Alpha right behind me. Stiles throws the door open for me and I duck inside, turning around myself as I open the bolt cutter and slam the two handles behind the metal bars to create a makeshift lock.

As I catch my breath, Scott and Stiles stand up, looking out the glass pane and I knit my brow, because despite the alpha trying to run after me, it's quiet outside. No growling, no movement – it's like the Alpha disappeared.

"Where is it?" Scott whispers as Stiles stands beside him, shining the beam of a flashlight out the window for a better view. "Where did it go?" But it remains quiet. I stand up, beginning to back away from the doors along with Scott and Stiles, the former nodding to the bolt cutter and asking, "That won't hold, will it?"