CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

CHAOS RISING

"I'm only honest when it rains, if I time it right, the thunder breaks when I open my mouth, I wanna tell you but I don't know how

"I'm only honest when it rains, if I time it right, the thunder breaks when I open my mouth, I wanna tell you but I don't know how."
---

"I've said it once and I'll say it again," I announce as I stand in the middle of Heather's kitchen, "mixing hormonal teenagers with alcohol is never a good thing."

Danielle, one of Heather's friends who actually goes to Beacon Hills High, lets out a laugh and nods in agreement, raising her blue plastic Solo cup to me. "I agree," she says simply, and I raise my cup – filled with seltzer instead of alcohol, which Heather called boring – to hers, the two of us toasting.

"It's not a big deal," Heather says with a pout, sipping from her own cup, filled to the brim with beer stolen from her dad's mini fridge in the basement. "It's just sex."

I tilt my head, sharing a look with Danielle. "But are you sure you wanna do it tonight?" I ask her. "No one's saying that you have to."

"It's my birthday!" Heather exclaims with a bit of a slur to her speech.

"Okay!" Danielle responds with a laugh.

After a moment of silent debate, Heather nods, a goofy smile on her face. "Tonight," she declares.

"Really?" I prod once more. "Tonight?"

Heather nods. "Yeah."

"For real?" Danielle follows up.

"Yeah!"

I bring my hand to my forehead and scratch it, running my through my hair as I release a sigh through my teeth. "Heather, I haven't experienced my first time yet, but you know it's statistically sort of gross, and it can hurt..." I trail off.

Heather shrugs as she begins to make her way out of the kitchen and through her house, causing Danielle and I to follow the pretty, petite blonde. "That's fine with me," she says simply.

"No romance?" Danielle inquires. "No waiting to fall in love?"

"When I fall in love, I want to be good at it," Heather replies decidedly.

"But I kinda think that's part of the beauty of it," I try to reason. "I mean, not really knowing what you're doing with the person that you love sounds kinda nice."

"Ooh, Ainsley has a heart," Heather giggles. "Who would have thought?!"

I roll my eyes and bite the rim of my cup before muttering, "You're a bitch," but I chuckle as I do, so she knows I'm not serious.

"You at least got yourself a target of opportunity?" Danielle asks as we stop off in the foyer of the house.

Turning her head toward the front door, a smile spreads over her face. "Stiles! Hi!" she exclaims, and I'm sure for a second, there might have been a small circle over my head, a little blue bar going round and round as my mind processed who she just greeted. She couldn't mean Stiles as in my friend Stiles, could she?