CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

THE GIRL WHO KNEW TOO MUCH

"I'll shout it out like a bird set free

"I'll shout it out like a bird set free."
---

I sigh as I turn the key in my truck's ignition and pull it out, unlocking my doors to step out onto my driveway. I'm exhausted and ready to just take a shower and go to bed after a long rehearsal at dance. That, and Ms. Blake insisted on having the recital for the lives lost in the sacrifices (which everyone else only knows as murders) so I've been busy prepping for that the last few days with the rest of the campus activities board.

Closing my truck door, I walk around the front of it to get to the passenger side so that I can grab my bags and head inside my house when I notice a white painted line next to my tire, similar to the kind that marks parking spaces in a parking lot. A cold, desolate feeling wraps itself around my spine as I lift my head and take in my surroundings.

I'm at the high school. A breeze rolls through the air and I shiver, folding my arms over my black sweatshirt-clad chest. The sweat clinging to my skin from dance makes me feel even colder and I swallow thickly.

How the hell am I at the school when I was on my way home from dance?

I turn around, trying to figure out how I got here when I hear, "Ainsley?"

Following the sound of the voice, I come face to face with Lydia and Allison. "It happened to you, too, didn't it?" Lydia asks.

"I was driving home from the dance studio," I tell her, shaking my head, "but ended up here."

Lydia nods and Allison sighs. "This can only mean one thing," she states. "There's a dead body here somewhere." I widen my eyes and glance at her. Allison tilts her head, gesturing vaguely to the surroundings. "The last time this happened, you two came across a dead body." She sighs, pulling her phone out of her pocket as I shove my hands into the pockets of my sweatshirt. "I'm calling Scott."

The conversation is quick and she hangs up shortly after. In the time it takes for Scott, and most likely Stiles, to arrive, I find myself shivering, though I don't know if it's from the cold or from nerves. A few minutes later, I can hear the engine of both Stiles' Jeep and Scott's motorcycle.

"Where is she?" I can hear Stiles ask.

"Over here!" Allison calls out and the boys come over to us.

"Ainsley?" Stiles asks carefully, stepping toward me, along with Scott.

I look back at Lydia, then at Stiles. "It's the same thing for both of us – same thing as the pool," I tell him. "We got into our cars heading somewhere totally different, and ended up here."

"And you told us to call you if there's a dead body," Lydia adds.

"You found a dead body?" Stiles asks incredulously, glancing at her, then at me.