CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

CURRENTS

"Spin me round again and rub my eyes, this can't be happening

"Spin me round again and rub my eyes, this can't be happening."
---

I T-pose in the doorway of the hospital break room, keenly aware that I shouldn't be here, but since I'm the step-child of one of the doctors in the trauma center, where David has been working for the last few years, I figure it's okay. "Hello, nonbiological parental figure," I greet with a chuckle.

"Hello, nonbiological child," he greets in the same way as he turns to face me. Clutched in one of my outstretched hands is a bag of Tupperware filled with the stuffed shells that Mom made tonight, and instead of questioning how I got back to the break room, his eyes widen. "Scratch that, you're my favorite seventeen-year-old nonbiological child."

I narrow my eyes at him. "I'm your only seventeen-year-old nonbiological child," I say.

"Exactly," he agrees as he takes the bag of Tupperware from me, using it to gesture to me. "Therefore, my favorite."

I pout as I cross my arms over my dark purple button down and black leather jacket, leaning against the doorframe. "That's not fair; you know I'm your favorite nonbiological child," I tell him. "I won't tell Liam, it's fine. It can be our secret."

"I don't have a favorite nonbiological child," David insists as he puts the bag of Tupperware on the counter in the break room, beginning to take the glass containers out, setting them on the counter next. He turns back to me, raising an eyebrow. "How did you even get back here?"

I smile innocently as I shove my hands into the pocket of my jeans. "Kinda just...slipped past people," I explain choppily. "The ER is a mess, no one even noticed."

"Ainsley," David says, and though I'm sure he meant to say it sternly, he starts chuckling.

I raise my hands, beginning to step out of the room. "I'm going, I'm going," I tell him. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Tell your mom I said thank you," David calls out after me. "Love you!"

"You too!" I call in response, starting down the hospital hallway, making a right down the hall toward the elevators.

It's a short ride down to the ER and as soon as I walk into it, I notice the chaos that is still swarming the hall. There are tons of people sitting in chairs, running into the hall, and so many more wincing and writhing in pain. I see Scott sitting next to a woman clutching her stomach and grimacing. He lays his hand on hers, speaking to her, and I watch as the veins in his hand and arm start to turn black. He's taking the woman's pain away, which is something he learned to do a couple of months ago. I give a half smile and meet his eyes, but it quickly fades when an all too familiar duo barge into the ER.

"Someone! Someone help me!" Ethan shouts, holding Danny up as they run inside. "Oh, I need help!"

Danny doesn't look good – his face is pinched and his lips are turning blue.