CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

MASTER PLAN

"Maybe redemption has stories to tell

"Maybe redemption has stories to tell. Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell. Where can you run to escape from yourself? Where you gonna go?"
---

My mind is racing, going a hundred miles a minute, as I stand against the rows of lockers in the boys' locker room after the chaos that's just ensued on the field outside. Scott, Isaac, and I stand with Sheriff Stilinski, the locker room filled with other deputies and lacrosse players, giving our statements about what we saw, hoping it would lead to some sort of clue about where Stiles is. I don't think I'm supposed to be in here, but I guess the fact that the sheriff himself brought me in here trumps any other rules.

"I've got to meet with the medical examiner and try to figure out what happened with Jackson," the sheriff tells us. "I've got an APB out on Stiles. His Jeep is still in the parking lot, so that means..." He trails off, defeated. "The hell, I don't know what that means." I screw my eyes closed again, feeling a burning pulse behind them. "Um, look, if he answers his phone, if he answers his emails, if either one of you see him –"

As his voice trails off hopelessly, I screw my eyes shut. That same feeling is creeping through my body and I don't want to feel this way anymore. I don't even care that Stiles had been somewhat avoiding me the last few weeks – I just want him to be safe.

I don't want anyone else getting hurt.

"We'll call you," Isaac says to the sheriff and I smile tightly despite the situation. Just a few weeks ago, if someone had told me Isaac would be helping us, I probably would have laughed. The fact that he's going lengths to help us causes a feeling of warmth to spread through my stomach.

"Look, he's probably just freaked out from all the attention or something," Scott says and I shake my head subtly. It's way worse than that. Knowing Gerard, it is, but I can't say that Gerard took him because I don't know for fact. Its merely speculation based on the evidence presented – Stiles and Gerard were nowhere to be found after the lights went out. I couldn't even say that I thought Gerard had taken him because there's no natural motive. Unless I want to let the sheriff know about the supernatural and let him look at me like I have six heads, it's better to keep that stuff to myself. "We'll find him."

"Yeah," Sheriff Stilinski agrees. "I'll see you, okay?"

He turns around to leave. As he goes, Coach comes over to the three of us, looking at Scott. "McCall," he starts. "We need you on the team, okay? You know I can't put you on the field next season if you don't get your grades up."

"Yeah, I know, Coach," Scott says sheepishly.

"All right. I mean, I-I know I yell a lot, but it's not like I hate you guys," Coach replies. Then, he shrugs. "Well, I kind of hate Greenberg, but, you know, that's different. It's Greenberg!" I raise my eyebrows, shaking my head. "I'm just saying, we – I – need you on the team. Get your grades back up."