CHAPTER SIXTEEN

ABOMINATION

"Way down we go

"Way down we go."
---

Standing in the grimey waiting area at Tucker's Garage, I take little breaths, trying not to breathe too deeply. The smell of the soiled garbage still staining my clothes and the intense smell of car fumes, gasoline, and rubber are overwhelming to my senses, but a girl still needs to breathe, so here I am. After coming to in the dumpster – thanks, Erica, really appreciate it – Stiles called a tow truck and it brought us here. We've been sitting here for what feels like hours as the mechanic, probably named Tucker, the owner of the place, tries to fix the Jeep so that it's working again.

I let my eyes wander around the area, eyes falling to a picture of Tucker on the wall. He's in a Beacon Hills lacrosse jersey, his stick positioned on his shoulder in the classic pose. I roll my eyes. "Hm, look at this," I say to Stiles, gesturing to the photo.

He moves away from where he's standing by the door of the waiting area, letting his eyes focus on something other than Tucker outside working on the Jeep. When he sees what I'm pointing at, Stiles sighs. "Figures."

I sit down, pulling my phone out of my pocket. I attempt to turn it on, but sigh when I realize it's dead.

"Oh, God, what is he doing?" Stiles mutters and I lift my head to see he's standing by the door again.

I crease my brow, looking up at him as I pocket my useless phone. "What?" I question.

Stiles gestures to Tucker working on the Jeep. "I only need a starter and he's taking way too long to just be putting that in," he says.

"Maybe he found another unrelated issue?" I suggest with a shrug. "I mean, the Jeep is old."

"Okay, fair point, Ace," Stiles responds with a sigh and I feel my breath catch at the nickname, still not quite used to it. He places his hands on his hips, foot tapping against the floor for a moment before he shakes his head. "Nope, that's enough, I'm asking him what the problem is."

He flings open the office door and I cup my hand around my mouth, whispering a sarcastic exclamation of, "Stick it to the man!"

I hear the two talking briefly, but it's more like a mumbled garble that I can't quite make out. I sit with my head against the wall, eyes closed, just hoping and praying for the Jeep to be fixed so that I can go home. A soft, subtle click makes me open my eyes and out of my peripheral vision, I see something move away from the door.

Standing quickly, I make it to the door as Stiles comes over to it again. He goes to open it, but as soon as his hand makes contact with the handle, he jerks it back, shaking it. Even though the glass separates us, I can see a slick, slime-like substance flick away from his hand. I frown at that, because I don't remember that being there when we first came in here.