CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

THE DARK MOON

"How far does the dark go? Give me an omen, show me a sign

"How far does the dark go? Give me an omen, show me a sign."
---

It had been a whirlwind couple of weeks for everyone.

With Allison gone, we'd been sorely missing a link in our group. Kira had decided to reintegrate into our friend group after a bit and though she could never replace Allison, it was nice to have her around. Lydia and I had gotten to spending more time together, too. Although it had been almost a year since Peter brought out our abilities, we still sometimes couldn't believe it. We're freaking banshees.

I don't think I'm ever going to get used to that honestly.

Though our friend group would have been just fine with Kira's addition, much to my dismay, Scott invited Malia to join us. I don't really know exactly what it is about her, but I can't have it in me to fully like her. It's kind of like Derek, in a way, and Cora. Sometimes, there are just people you come across in life and you don't like them. I don't find anything wrong with it; what gets me mad is when everyone else tries to get me to accept her as part of the group.

On a more personal note, the holidays weren't exactly kind. Just before winter break fully commenced in December, Liam got kicked out of Devenford. I blame our father for his recent relapse of anger. After his expulsion and subsequent diagnosis of I.E.D., I suggested having him transfer to Beacon Hills, so at least I'd be there to help him out. Mom and David agreed, so when school starts up again in a few days, he'll continue the rest of his freshman year at Beacon Hills. It makes me feel a bit better knowing that he'll be in the same school as me from now on. With everything that's happened, I find myself fearing for my family's safety more than ever.

And on another personal note – Stiles. If someone had told Ainsley from a year ago that Ainsley now would be dating the hyper, lanky boy with a buzzcut, I think she would have laughed. Not because he wasn't cute then, but because she never pictured herself being worthy of someone like him after everything that had happened. For the most part, we tried to keep our relationship a secret at first. It's not that we were ashamed of each other, just that we wanted something to ourselves for as long as we could handle it.

But when Lydia Martin is your best friend, it's hard to keep secrets.

And when your other friend is a werewolf with enhanced senses, it's damn near impossible.

They'd caught on almost immediately. The two days we had of privacy were nice, but I have to admit, it's nice having everyone know now. Since winter break had started, I'd made it a habit of going over to the Stilinski house almost every morning to have breakfast with Stiles and Noah. Today is no different, except I don't see Noah's car in the driveway when I pull up. I get to the door and ring the bell. Stiles opens it, but he has a pensive look on his face.