CHAPTER EIGHT

LUNATIC

"How could you be so heartless?"---

---

Third Person Point of View

"Where are we going?" Scott asks as he follows Stiles through the Beacon Hills Preserve. It's nearly the middle of the night, the entire landscape cloaked in darkness. The only light comes from the illumination of the silvery moon, which in just twenty-four hours will be at its fullest form and in its peak.

"You'll see," Stiles responds, practically skipping as he continues to lead Scott through the Preserve, sneakers splashing in puddles from a previous rainstorm, his hand shoved awkwardly into his jacket.

"'Cause we really shouldn't be out here," Scott continues, slightly in agitation. "My mom is in a constant state of freak-out from what happened at the school."

Though it had been four days since the Alpha trapped Scott, Stiles, and Ainsley, and then Allison, Jackson, and Lydia in the high school, everyone is still on edge with what had transpired. The general public still thinks it's Derek Hale at fault for the recent string of murders, but the school had been shut down for two days following an investigation into those claims.

"Well, your mom isn't the sheriff, okay?" Stiles states with a scoff. "There's no comparison, trust me."

Scott, realizing that he's not going to get out of whatever his best friend has planned, sighs. "Can you at least just tell me what we're doing out here?" he asks.

"Yes!" Stiles replies. "When your best friend gets dumped –"

"I didn't get dumped!" Scott interjects, though it is the truth. Allison had told him she didn't want to see him anymore after she felt as though he had been lying to her about what he knew while trapped in the school. "We're taking a break –"

"All right," Stiles interrupts with a brief eye roll, "well, when your best friend gets told by his girlfriend that they're taking a break..." Stiles ceases his steps, turning to face Scott as he removes his awkwardly placed hand from his jacket, producing a full bottle of whiskey from beneath the fabric, "you get your best friend drunk."

After finding a place in the Preserve to sit, it doesn't take long for the liquor to hit Stiles. After a few swigs from the bottle, he lays back against the ground, staring mindlessly up at the starry sky above.

"Dude, you know..." he starts off, slurring his words, which are slightly higher pitched in his drunken state. "She's just one...one girl. You know, there are so many...there are so many other girls in the sea..."

"Fish in the sea," Scott corrects lowly, irritably, but the underlying tone is lost on Stiles.

"Fish?" he repeats, laughing lightly as his flicks his eyes toward Scott. "Why you talking about fish? I'm talking about girls. I love girls. I love 'em. I love especially ones with blonde hair, blue eyes, five-foot-five..."