CHAPTER SEVENTY

STATUS ASTHMATICUS

"Oh, I wish I'd never, ever seen your face

"Oh, I wish I'd never, ever seen your face. I wish you were the one, wish you were the one that got away."
---

The rain stops about halfway through our drive away from the clinic. I'm not sure where we're going, but nowhere is far enough from the clinic, from Theo, and unfortunately, from Scott. I have little hope that this can be made right. Scott obviously doesn't believe Stiles, he thinks I'm some sort of an unwilling accomplice to murder, and believes Theo over Stiles, someone he's known for more than half his life.

If your friendship's probably over, clap your hands.

My tears have stopped, replaced by a numbness in my bones as I try to figure out how we can move on from this. Where do we go from here? How do we reconvene and get everyone on the same side again? My eyes fall to the wrench—that stupid, metal wrench—sitting on top of the dashboard. I can tell that Stiles is looking at it every few moments, and I want nothing more than to somehow make this all stop hurting for him.

Suddenly, the Jeep starts to smoke under the hood. It starts to come through the car, and Stiles mutters, "No," before he pulls over.

The two of us start to cough at how intense the smell is, gripping my throat and holding it like a vice. As soon as the car is in park, I open the door and jump out onto the sidewalk, coughing into my elbow as Stiles slams the door to the driver's side shut with such force that I'm convinced it'll knock the Jeep over. He walks around to the back of the Jeep, pulling his toolbox out and throwing it to the side as he makes his way over to the hood, opening it before grabbing the toolbox on the ground.

He opens it, and looks down, noting the missing wrench inside. The one he had to use to get away from Donovan. I watch in the moonlight as his jaw clenches. Taking the toolbox in his hands, his snaps it shut and launches across the street away from us. I flinch slightly at the sound it makes, but understand the frustration he's feeling. Stiles moves around toward the passenger side, slamming the hood back down as he does, reaching inside the car.

I don't know what he's looking for, but I watch as he pulls the wrench off of the dashboard. He slams the door once it's in his hand, and I watch as he crossing in front of the Jeep, winding his arm up to throw the wrench across to where the rest of the toolbox landed, but he stops. He looks back at me, his eyes closing as he says, "Ainsley, get away from the Jeep."

Listening, but not exactly sure why, I walk away from it slowly, staying on the sidewalk, but going down it as far as he is from the Jeep. I shift my eyes between him and the car, watching as he turns his body around, channeling all of his anger and betrayal into wind up of his arm as he throws the wrench at the windshield of the Jeep. The glass shatters and I release a sigh at the damage done, watching as Stiles makes his way unsteadily back to it, sliding down to sit by the front driver's side tire.