CHAPTER FIFTY-NINE

A PROMISE TO THE DEAD

"It's like I never had a doubt

"It's like I never had a doubt. I love you like the sun came out."
---

A loud, wailing scream rips through my throat, silencing the voices in my head that are telling me of another death that is to come.

It's a warning—no one's dead yet, but the person will die soon.

The scream is enough to fully wake me up, but when I look around, I notice I'm sitting at my desk, a notebook laid out in front of me, and a pen in my hand. I don't remember getting up, but it appears I did, because here I am. I'm still in my pink pajama tank top and black shorts, and nothing else seems out of place.

But when did I get out of bed?

I glance around my dimly lit room, to the clock radio sitting on my dresser and see that the time is around three in the morning. As I look back down at my desk, I notice that I've not just pulled a notebook onto it and written in that. My tarot cards are fanned out across the top of my desk. One of them has been pulled, the picture of the card facing up.

Death.

Swallowing thickly, I try to not jump to conclusions about this trance-like tarot pull. The Death card doesn't usually mean literal death.

But with the way I've done some readings as of late, and the fact that I'm a literal harbinger of death, doesn't really give me a lot of hope.

Curious as to what I'd written while in that trance-like state before my own scream woke me up, I look down at the pages of my notebook. Maybe I was unconsciously doing a tarot reading for someone. My eyes widen when I see that I've written 'Derek' all over the page. As I turn the page, I realize that I've filled the entire notebook with his name. Shakily, I press my hand to my mouth.

The scream I unleashed earlier was for Derek's impending death.

When Kate had him in Mexico, whatever she did to him, it must have done something horrible to him, and it's still happening.

"Ainsley?"

I jump, startled by the sudden call of my name. Turning toward my bedroom door, I see Liam standing in the doorway, wringing his hands and looking a bit sheepish.

Releasing a breath, I turn my body toward him fully. "Liam," I say, a statement to ground myself in reality. I realize it's relatively quiet up above me, which is strange considering I know that Mason was here when I went to bed. "Is everything okay?"

"I-I . . . " he starts off, stammering, which immediately causes me concern to grow. He finally sighs and just spits out the words, "Mason went home and I was alone in my room and I got scared."

In the last few days, so much has happened that could probably give a grown man like Argent nightmares, so I'm not really sure what exactly he's scared of. I know that jumping headfirst into all of this mess couldn't have been easy, and I do realize that I was fairly lucky not to be dealing with assassins right off the bat.