Eighteen

Rosemary sat anxiously in her dimly lit room, desperately trying to divert her attention from the windows. The cacophony of passing cars outside seemed to grow louder with each passing moment, and the gentle breeze that brushed against her face was a constant reminder of the world beyond her confinement.

Despite the allure of the outside world, she resisted the urge to look out, for she feared that her gaze would inadvertently meet Taylor's piercing eyes from the window across the way. The tension in the air was palpable as if the universe itself conspired to bring them together in a fateful encounter. Every sound, every movement made Rosemary's heart race.

She knew that once their eyes met, there would be no turning back, and their lives would be forever altered. So, she remained steadfast, determined to shield herself from the possibility of such a life-altering encounter, even as her curiosity gnawed at her from within.

Her eyes looked down at the book in front of her trying to get her work done but every time she placed her pencil down on the paper, she would run the led against the paper, and she would hear her heart grow with beats through her ears.

With everything playing on replay in her head she couldn't help but jump at the sound of a knock at her door. Her heart was caught in her throat the minute she heard it. She raised her hand up to her heart and she took a deep breath before slamming the pencil down on the paper and looking up at her door.

She stared at it for a moment as if she didn't know what to do next but eventually, she came to her senses when the door was knocked on once again. She got up from the bed and she rushed over to the door to only find her mother on the other end.

With an eyebrow raised, she hummed. Her mother was supposed to be at work and not in front of her door right now. Especially since she said she wouldn't speak to her for some time now. It was a bit strange to Rosemary.

She opened her mouth to speak and to ask why of this but she was quickly stunned when she saw Taylor nibbling at her bottom lip and looking back at her as she moved from the spot she was hiding in.

Rosemary quickly glanced back to her mother as she waited to hear what this was all about. With everything that had been going on lately, she wasn't sure if this was a very good thing at all. Especially if Taylor was here. Taylor seemed like the reason for everything going wrong in Rosemary's life anyway.

"Rosemary, Taylor here was nice enough to stop by after she heard about your fallout with Jenna. I'll allow you girls an hour but after that Taylor must go home. Rosemary, you know you're grounded." Rosemary's mother said,

Taylor stopped nibbling at her bottom lip and she stood up properly. She then looked over at Rosemary's mother as she received a smile. Taylor only forced her lips into a tight hold together with the sides twitching up a bit.

Rosemary didn't trust her words. She only nodded before opening the door more and silently inviting Taylor into her room. Once again, Rosemary's mother sent the two a smile as she began to walk off but she suddenly stopped and grabbed the handle of Rosemary's door.

"I will see you later, Rosemary. I'm already late for work. Ricky will be watching after you but I advise you to keep the door closed. You wouldn't want him eavesdropping on your convos now would you?" She asked, closing the door, not leaving any room for Rosemary to say anything.

Once the door was closed, Rosemary nearly flinched at the sound. She then took a deep breath before turning around and facing Taylor as she raised her hand up to her short hair and scratched it, awkwardly.

"Hi...Taylor." Rosemary said, clearing her throat.

"Hello, Rosie," Taylor said, smiling brightly.